Reference/Release Notes/2.80/More Features
Blender 2.80: More Features
A primary unit can be selected for length, mass and time. This unit will be used everywhere to:
- Display values of that type in the user interface
- Parse unitless user input
The old behavior can be restored on a per unit basis by using the "Adaptive" mode, where a unit is adaptively chosen depending to match the value. When "Separate Units" is activated, the primary unit is always the first of the displayed units.
- Added two simple options that control the tablet pressure response curve globally within Blender (539b465b).
- Angular bending springs were implemented and are now the default. Angular springs are generally much more realistic, but can cause some instability with extremely high bending stiffness at low sampling rates. The linear bending model is still available and is the default when opening existing simulations. (b6f0f8a5b5a)
- Structural cloth forces are now separated into components, allowing individual stiffness and damping control over tension, compression, and shearing (in addition to bending). (e3d31b8dfbd)
- N-gons are now properly supported, having shearing springs added to them, preventing them from collapsing.
Cloth collisions underwent a major overhaul 0666ece2e2f9. Notable changes include:
- Several algorithmic improvements to reliability and stability.
- A new self-collision system has been implemented, enabling real surface collisions, instead of spherical vertex collisions.
- Collision detection has been multi-threaded.
- More optimized BVH trees are being used, improving performance.
- Collisions are now applied simultaneously for all collision objects, preventing any object from being prioritized.
- Single sided collisions have been implemented (preventing cloth from getting "stuck" in a collider), as well as an option to always use normals as the collision direction.
- Bug fixes:
- Collisions caused cloth to move twice as fast.
- Colliders were only computed at frames, ignoring subframe motion.
- Friction parameter has been moved to the collider settings, allowing a cloth to have different frictions with different objects.
- Repulses have been removed, as they were a workaround due to less reliable collisions.
- Impulse clamping has been implemented, to prevent explosions from extreme collisions.
- Effectors can now have a infinite line shape, in addition to points, infinite planes and meshes. (969cbed)
- The Generic Spring constraint now uses the newer Bullet spring implementation with better damping behavior, but the old version is available as an option. (26a283d, ec64051)
The new image empties replace the old background images in Blender.
There are two main ways to create a new image empty:
- Add Menu -> Image
- Drag and drop an image into the viewport
Drop .blend files
When dropping a .blend in Blender you get ask whether you want to load the file, append something from it or link to it.
Audaspace was updated to the latest version, which includes many stability and performance improvements. Different OpenAL devices can now be chosen in the user preferences.
New features in the Audaspace Python API include:
- Play self generated sounds using numpy arrays.
- For games: Sound list, random sounds and dynamic music.
- Writing sounds to files.
- Sequencing API.
- Opening sound devices, eg. Jack.
- Manual detail mode for dynamic topology. In this mode mesh detail does not change on each stroke, only when using flood fill. (2203b04)
- A new viewport shader option to display contours formed by points with the same interpolated weight. (ba3ef44a)
- Text strips support for selecting a font. (b3dbe17658fe)
- Add many more blend modes and a new Color Mix strip. (4b4702ab8)
- The RGB Curves now supports Film Like curve mapping, used for adjusting saturation and contrast, while avoiding color shifts. It does this by balancing the color channels to preserve the hue. (4de7c0c31)
- The hostname of the machine running Blender can now be embedded in the output file metadata. This helps identifying which machine rendered which frame in a multi-machine setup (i.e. render farm). (e2d9166473184)