Liquid Simulation Display Options (Proposal for GSoC 2020)
- Email: email@example.com
- Sriharsha on blender.chat, devtalk and developer.blender.org
- GitHub: https://github.com/sriharsha2000
The goal of this project is to make the viewport more informative by adding options to visualize liquid simulation grids and improving existing fluid display options in Workbench.
Currently, Blender’s viewport visualization options for liquid simulation grids are not present. If the velocities and external forces are visualized as vectors within the simulation grids, the viewport could be more informative and useful for producing desired liquid simulations.
- Improved liquid simulation visualization within Blender’s viewport with added support for visualization of velocity vectors and external force vectors within dynamic liquid simulation grids.
- A panel under liquid domain to control the possible options for viewport display.
- End-user documentation.
Vector properties like velocity and external forces can be visualised using vectors in the liquid simulation grids on a per-cell basis. All the particles present within a cell of the grid contribute to the properties represented by that cell. Average of the velocities of all the particles present in a cell can be taken as the velocity represented by that cell. Instead of average, other filters like maximum or minimum can be used.
The generated data finally gets visualized in the form of vectors or colours within the simulation grid.
The level-set grid for liquids can be visualized by colourizing the grid with respect to the data residing within it.
The implementation of visualization of liquid simulation grids should mostly resemble that of visualization of gas simulation grids in Blender.
- Community bonding, imbibing mentor’s insights, getting familiar with the codebase.
- Make a UI panel under liquid domain to interact with the desired options for liquid simulation visualization in viewport.
- Analyse the implementation of gas simulation grids visualization options.
- Implement dynamic grid selection and detection for liquid simulation.
- Implement display of velocity vectors on a per cell basis.
- Implement display of external force vectors.
- Clean the code and handle bugs if any.
- Add options to colorize the grid according to the strengths of the vectors.
- Create end-user documentation.
If time permits:
- Visualizing grids between frames.
- Implement visualization for density of liquid using color mapping.
I may have semester-end examinations in late July or early August. The schedule of my examinations may vary due to ongoing lockdown in India due to Coronavirus.
My name is Sriharsha Kotcharlakot. Currently, I’m a junior undergraduate student majoring in computer science & engineering from MLR Institute of Technology, India. I have always been keenly interested in the working of 3D computer graphics due to the gravity of its marvelous applications such as simulations of complex real world phenomena, games, VFX and animated movies.
I have been using Blender for over 5 years. I’m an amateur competitive programmer. I’m proficient with C, C++ and Python. I have experience in game development and app development. I made a few blender tutorials demonstrating some basic uses of physics tools like fluid simulation, cloth simulation and rigidbody physics in Blender.