Weekly Reports: September - December 2019 (Blender Institute)
September 16 - September 22
- Show in-/decrement buttons for exporters (8d6b0eda5d).
- Open file options region for more operations (28ee0f97c3).
- Refactor temp-space opening for optional fullscreen mode (95373e274908).
- Move render display type to Preferences (cac756a92aae).
- Preference for file browser as fullscreen area (f5bbaf55ac3d).
- Cleanup: Add/use utility to remove regions (f5dc979a7eb0).
- Rewrite file region handling for non-editor mode (d1cc340e5669).
- Refactor: Ensure there's always a valid file editor tool region (b20182e33418).
- Remove redundant file bookmarks region toggle operator (2f1e8f4b97e7).
- Use vertical file list for "Recover Auto Save" (f0ec7c2ec6ed).
- Replace big options button in file browser (adfe68e2025b).
- Avoid file browser directory change if path didn't change (ac15bf16462b).
- T69755: 'Enter' over file name not working (af9ca138ba).
- Crash in local collections with excluded layer (1353158aa24b).
- T70074: Missing file execute region in some files (crashes) (ee12af9c97f7).
- T70048: Assert when cancelling Append window (4a5af65fe9e3).
- Preferences opens file browser in wrong window (c8df6f2cf9df).
- Empty file options region in regular editor (09b728ff3e37).
- Fix mistakes in openxr build options (3c38e67765).
- Fix Linux linker config name for the OpenXR-SDK (9baa9e2bd3).
- Cleanup (639dffa43aa4, 6af2f222caea, cddf043ccace).
September 9 - September 15
Moved to Amsterdam this week! Unfortunately doing that took me quite some time, so this report will be much shorter than the last one.
- Refactor buttton extra icons to support multiple icons with custom operators (D5730, 828905190e).
- Add superimposed + and - icons for file increasing/decreasing (2aa3e9c67c).
- File browser deselect on click on empty space (42c062c98a).
- [Submitted for review] Preferences options for temporary editor display type (D5754).
- [Submitted, but abandoned for alternative solution] Ghost: Add support for always-on-top windows (D5765).
- Reviewed/tested D5682.
- Fix T69791: Fix crash reading old file browser in temporary window (914f4308fb).
- Fix T69736: Flipping bookmarks region empties it (69e0f485c9).
September 1 - September 8
Tried to get the file browser UI design overhaul in early in the week. Managed to do that, but had to spend most remaining time fixing many related issues (not all caused by our changes). This did however raise some concerns regarding testing for me, which I'd like to discuss with the UI team soon.
Initially I wanted to address some other usability related tasks while I'm still working from home (mostly T57918). We got plenty of feedback on the file browser changes though and we want to further tweak some things. So I will continue work on the file browser. Pablo, William, Brecht and I seem to agree on this.
File Browser Design Overhaul Merge
- Updated patch (D5601):
- Merged file browser design overhaul into master (ee8f69c96c, 53aec1ccff)
All related to the file browser redesign (though, not all caused by it):
- Don't show button context menu for drag-labels (2356f60c62)
- T69451: Walk-select in empty directory asserts
- Selecting multiple files ignoring first file (197653e087)
- Access to disabled OBJ exporter property (0abe5a6a37)
- T69467: Temporary Info Editor window crashes (0c7bfdf9a5)
- T69463: File Browser opens off-center on hiDPI (da25aca267)
- T69469: Overrun in file action type RNA enum (718989d662)
- T69457: Move file execute region and file path button back to C, fixing multiple bugs (45d4c92579, 9972d6c306)
- Bring back confirmation prompt for file path auto-create (e10f8c27a2)
- T69495: Crash changing action in file browser (fbf6898f58)
- T69498: Crash on export UV Layout (4c4a8bf588)
- Failing assert on directory auto-creation (5fd46d27f5)
- T69581: File browser errors not reported in the UI (4c20c53b89, 83a7d98a32)
- Saving images from temp Image Editor failing (ab823176d3)
- Crash closing stacked file browser window (a566b71333)
- T67756: File drag starts on file browser open (e7476b667e)
Reviewed a few smaller patches for the file browser:
- D5667: File Browser Optional Created and Accessed Date Columns (requested changes)
- D5713: File Browser Custom Folder Color (commented with suggestions, didn't want to accept or request changes)
- D5671: Fbx export crashes blender
Also participated in the UI meeting on Wednesday.
Not much happened on the VR front, plan is to step things up once I'm in Amsterdam. Dalai reviewed my GSoC branch (D5537) and didn't seem to have any bigger concern.
There's also continuous contact with potential XR module team members. I've asked to move design discussion to design tasks now (T68998, T68994, T68995), so expect some activity there soon-ish.