Weekly Reports: 2021
March 29 - April 4
Continued work on the asset view template, asset system and pose library functionality.
- Wrote an initial asset system design document, based on an earlier C++ design mockup by Sybren: Asset System Technical Design
- Postmortem meeting about the Asset Browser & Pose Libraries project.
- Allow click+dragging on poses in the asset view to do pose blending.
- Support custom context menu entries for UI lists, use that to show all pose asset operations in the pose asset view.
- Python API additions.
- Various fixes.
- rBa0a0edc3: Fix File Browser double-click not working while in pose mode
- rB80469a76: Prevent preview loading from triggering continuous redraws
- rB5438015a: Allow setting operator properties for the custom drag & activate OPs
- rBabcbf730: Support "Release Confirm" mode for the pose blending operator
- rBd05413b9: Fix possible use of released stack memory
- rBabacf071: Remove asset testing panel for the asset view template
- rB9f8cc981: Add button to refresh the asset list from the asset view template
- rBA0e1ed10: Allow click+dragging on poses in the asset view to blend them
- rB9c6eea60: Pose asset operators: Check the type of the asset in the operator poll
- rB83c53d1b: Support custom context menu entries for UI-lists, e.g. for pose assets
- rBA4422b94: Pose Library: Add operators to context menu of poses in the asset view
- rB8750f355: Expose more asset info and utilities in the Python API
- rBAb2accf5: Pose Library: Make pose bone select operators work from the asset view
Created tasks: 2
- Pose Library: Evaluate pose asset-view placement. (T87092)
- Asset View UI template: Add Pose Operators to Context Menu. (T87066)
- Accepted: Armature: Add Display Axis Offset (D7685)
- Check what can go to master (e.g. the UIList refactoring & improvements), start creating patches or commit directly.
AssetHandle, current design isn't acceptable for master.
- Start work on Data Storage, Reading & UI Access design implementation.
March 22 - March 28
March 15 - March 21
- Wrote an initial design document: Asset System: Data Storage, Reading & UI Access
March 8 - March 14
March 1 - March 7
Continued work on the asset view UI template, various discussions/meetings for the UI module and asset browser, and a code cleanup day.
- UI meeting (meeting notes to be done)
- Further discussions about the UI module state and way forward.
- Asset View UI template:
- rBeef2a348: Refactor UIList template for further changes and to fix some glitches.
- rB9a6c22a7: Properly support mouse-selecting items in the asset view list.
- rB5ccb47a9: Add own button/widget type for the asset previews.
- Experimented with letting the asset view store own properties (active asset library, active asset, advanced filter settings) in the list itself as ID-properties. Didn't turn out well, I'll probably go for a different approach.
- Accepted: Animation: add function to apply a pose from an Action (D10578)
- Accepted: Asset Browser Space API: add
- Accepted: UI: Add an option to search buttons to allow any string input (D10527)
- Accepted: create ed_draw.c (D9313)
- Fix incorrect assert in Outliner ID deletion (rBae005393)
- Build-system: Use C-linkage for internal interface header (rBb35a3933)
- Code quality day:
- UI Code Quality: Port Outliner Grease Pencil layers to new design (rBe0442a95)
- Cleanup: Add & use enum value for ID Outliner element type (rBb9e54566)
- Outliner: Barebones to port IDs to new Outliner tree-element code design (rB3a907e74)
- Start porting general ID elements to the new Outliner tree-element code design (uncomitted)
- Get asset view UI template ready for merge.
- Finish initial work for using new Outliner tree-element design for general IDs.
- UI meeting, review, etc.
February 22 - February 28
A lot of patch review and work on the Pose Libraries project (part of the Asset Browser).
- Meeting on Asset Browser and Pose Libraries Design. Results should be published as code.blender.org post soon.
- Worked on a new "asset view" UI template, which is a mini-version of the Asset Browser that can be displayed in regular layouts (e.g. 3D View sidebar). Needed for Pose Libraries and some general Asset Browsing use-cases.
- Add initial asset-view template, with dummy contents (palette colors). (rB796c5991)
- Initial working version to load and display the assets of a certain asset library (uncommitted).
- Review session with Hans Goudey, we went through a good number of patches. Not all of them are listed below.
- Requested changes: UI: Join or Close Any Area D8084
- Accepted: Assets: Preview rendering for Action datablocks (D10543)
- Accepted: UI - Remove 'Enable physics for:' text (D10537)
- Accepted: Cleanup: UI: "WPaint" to "Weight Paint" (D9905)
- Accepted: Pose Sliding tools improvements (D9054)
- Accepted: Cleanup: "Warning" in tooltips/description, use unified format (D9904)
- Accepted: Cleanup: use of the term "Metaballs" (D9910)
- Accepted: Cleanup: Fixes for labels and descriptions in various places (D9924)
- Accepted: UI: Error in UI_GetThemeColorBlendShade4fv function when calculating Alpha (D9944)
- Accepted: UI: Reorder mesh merge operator types for consistent shortcuts (D10008)
- Accepted & committed: Fix T84707: Wrong icon for Movie Clip Editor (D10500)
- Discussed & accepted: BLI: New FunctionRef type. (D10476)
- Icons: Add icon for the upcoming spreadsheet editor (rB57c41a9c)
- Icons: Update blender_icons.svg to have a document background (rB16504ed4)
- Icons: Resaved blender_icons.svg in new Inkscape version (rB1981f04b)
- Fix line width broken for consecutive line draw calls (rBdaf7f423)
- Continue work on the asset view template.
- Regular module work: Fixes, review, meetings, etc.
February 15 - February 21
- Edited the UI module project page, menu and moved workboard notes into sub-page.
- Accepted & committed: UI: Correct the text alignment in the quick setup (splash screen) dialog (D10486)
- Requested changes to: Pose Sliding tools improvements (D9054)
- Accepted & committed: UI: Corrects the text alignment of the RGB/HSV/Hex toggle in the color picker (D9854)
- Accepted: Cleanup: Disentangle outliner active status "get" and "set" (D10232)
- Accepted: Fix T83027: Incorrect outliner collection state after operator (D10240)
- Accepted: Alternative Fix for T80313: Clipped text in splash screen on hiDPI monitors (D9853)
- Accepted: UI: Fuzzy search in collection search. (D10446)
- Accepted: UI: FModifier layout updates, drag and drop (D7997)
- Accepted: UI: Clarify text in properties popover (D10010)
- Gave feedback & help: File Browser: select files and directories after renaming (9994)
- Gave feedback: VR: OpenXR Action Support (9124)
- Fix memory leak when loading previous preferences from splash screen (rBe6b7905f)
- Revert "Fix T80313: Fix clipped text in splash screen on hiDPI monitors" (rBb1142858)
- Fix failing "Edit Source" (asserts) while number slider was visible (rB81ac0bf7)
- Assets: Remove appended asset when dropping operation fails (rBe81fca1e)
- UI/Nodes: Adding node groups via drag & drop (e.g. from Asset Browser) (rB604e61d8)
February 8 - February 14
Not much this week due to traveling and trouble related to that. Back in Amsterdam now.
- Did some improvements to drag & drop, especially for assets.
- Not committed yet: Add feedback for when dropping node group asset fails (add disabled hints for node polling).
- Created devtalk proposal to remove roadmap images.
- General module work.
- Accepted: GPencil: Basic block drawing in Dopesheet (D10179)
Created patches: 2
- UI/Nodes: Adding node groups via drag & drop (e.g. from Asset Browser). (D10405)
- Proposal: Improved feedback when dropping is not possible on drag 'n drop. (D10358)
- install_deps: Update OpenXR repository info (rB34155dd2)
- Fix T85448: File Browser sidebar collapses when selecting a file (rB048135e2)
Again, general stuff: Meetings, patch review, fixes, asset browser tasks.
February 1 - February 7
General work again, fixes, tweaks, asset browser tasks, UI module work, etc.
Created patches: 2
- Assets/IDs: Don't generate previews for object types with no real geometry. (D10334)
- Code quality: Use ID-type callback to get an ID's preview-image. (D10332)
- Code Quality:
- Port recently added utility file to C++ (rB699b2d98)
- Port recently added asset files to C++ (rBef29ebb3)
- Refactor asset operators using C++ (rB04be1e99)
- Remove dead code for keymap Outliner display mode (rB8acd58a1)
- Use enum for Outliner tree-store element types (rBfd05e31d)
- Remove unused tree element types (rB9d605950)
- UI: Improve tooltip for continuous grab (rBe69217b2)
- Cleanup: Use bool instead of int (rBf3a2434b)
- Fix missing preview images for actions when browsing in external files (rBfa96aa58)
- Fix incorrect mesh selection duplication in internal utility function (rBe1f38b21)
- Fix T83064: Missing tooltips, caused by string property search button (rBe3c8363c)
- Fix T84780: Corrupt screen layout when loading file with area full-screen (rB5c72a4d4)
- Requested changes to: Alternative Fix for T80313: Clipped text in splash screen on hiDPI monitors (D9853)
- Accepted: Fix T83450: Missing 4th studio light in preview icon (D10283)
- Requested changes to: Fix T84869: Expanded enums now always draw center aligned (D9854)
- Accepted: Fix for T82459 - Input Language Independent of Display Language (D10268
Mostly the same, with some more focus on the asset browser.
January 25 - January 31
Bug sprint week, which I mostly used to classify reports (unclassified reports went down from ~60 to ~25), fix issues and general module work.
- UI meeting.
- Pose library meeting.
- Lots of report classification.
- Lots of general bug tracker work (merging duplicates, closing invalid tasks, asking questions, assign to workboard columns, etc.)
- Investigated a number of issues.
- Addressed issues with clipped data-block names in menus. (Improved clipping and added tooltip support.)
- Docs: Remove wrong debug flag info rBb10fac04
- Manual: Update command line arguments page for recent change rBM7692rBM
- GPU: Remove unused GPU debugging command line options rBbc94036a
- UI: Tooltip for data-block selector menus, showing full name and library info rBd096d9c4
- Cleanup: Use const parameters for active button lookups/tests rB656f6ae6
- Fix wrong command line argument description for --debug--gpu-force-workarounds rB75e8e011
- Fix T69001: Custom icons won't load while using workbench engine rBc0d2b10c
- Fix library name clipping most of the data-block name in data-block menus rB77f73a92
- Fix T85027: Crash dragging a collection over empty Outliner rB5c490bcb
General stuff: Meetings, patch review, fixes, asset browser tasks.
January 18 - January 24
- General bug triaging/classification.
- UI meeting
- More polishing on the UI module planning doc & design manifesto doc.
- Moved workboard notes from Wiki to UI project page.
- Created task T84860: Reevaluate and rework categories.
- Asset Browser: Support dragging in object-data assets (meshes, curves, etc.) rB2fec46c3
- UI: Avoid showing drop hint on drag & drop if dropping won't succeed rBc8d6e2df
- Asset Browser: Avoid appending asset data-block when drop operator will fail rBe90a2a3f
- Cleanup: Add/use helper to check if dragging a certain ID type or asset ID type rBf04206cb
- Asset Browser: Support dragging mask assets into compositors rBb449da3a
- Asset Browser: Support dragging image assets into node editors rBdb15df0b
- Fix memory leak when opening file browser rB3469e06c
- Fix editors showing old data-block name after renaming in Outliner rB96fa78f5
- Fix Asset Browser showing old name after renaming data-block rBca475479
- Asset Browser: Enable by default in alpha builds rB1135790a
- UI: Deselect other objects when dragging into 3D View rBbcdba7c3
- Accepted D9793: UI: Gizmo Tooltip Positions. D9793
- Accepted D9744: UI: Viewport Navigate Gizmo Refactor. D9744
- Accepted D10141: Cleanup: Store runtime space node variables in a separate struct. D10141
- Bug sprint week. Lots of classification and fixing to do.
January 11 - January 17
Things are slowly moving back to normal, after the Asset Browser merge and holidays. So this week I started catching up with the review backlog, same for the bug backlog, handled a number of 2.92 bcon2 tasks, had multiple meetings and worked on some UI module planning.
- Two UI meetings & wrote meeting notes.
- Meeting on asset browser status.
- Two meetings on pose libraries.
- Some polishing on a UI module planning doc & design manifesto doc I've been working on.
- Did a first pass review of the VR controller support.
- UI: Revert design changes to data-block selector for the 2.92 release (rB2771dfd5)
- Asset System: Disable Asset Browser as experimental feature (rBaed5b88e)
- Regular bug triaging/classification
- Requested changes: VR - OpenXR Action Support. (D9124)
- Accepted: UI Code Quality: Use "params" struct for space type and region callbacks. (D9750)
- Accepted: Fix T84586: missing Outliner redraws for certain NLA operators. (D10073)
- Commented: Change operators to add new "group" collections to the scene. (D10042)
- Requested changes: Pose Sliding tools improvements. (D9054)
- Fix various issues with regions in Asset Browser (rB3cc7e2ad)
More of the same basically :) Patch review, asset browser tasks, meetings, bug fixing.