Weekly Reports: March - December 2020
March 22 - March 29
Time was mostly spent on the patch tracker. The UI patch backlog is shrinking slowly. At least in my queries they all fit on a single page now :)
- Gave feedback on some GSoC project proposals. E.g. https://devtalk.blender.org/t/gsoc-20-virtual-reality-controller-input-interaction-support-proposal/12222/ and https://devtalk.blender.org/t/gsoc-2020-multi-properties-editing/12266. For other projects this happened through private communication channels.
- Checked on the VR scene scale option (made a quick implementation), but I'm still not convinced it's really needed. Needs more user feedback.
- Tweaks to the VR related manual entries (rBM6421, rBM6408).
- Checked over UI patch backlog and found some older patches to be closed or abandoned (D2970, D1450, D1546, D4849, D4979, D7162, D760, D666, D1781, D6685, D5413, D1423, D1464).
- Updated an old patch of mine, D1440: Fix Node Editor undo glitch after adding node.
- Fix VR viewer offset on session start with no positional tracking (e5f7b31dd427).
- D6791 [committed]: Theming colors and size of background (transparency) checkerboard pattern.
- D7210 [accepted & committed]: Fix missing grid theme option for Movie Clip Editor.
- D7208 [accepted & committed]: Fix T74038: Scrolling doesn't work in menu if there is no active item.
- D7189 [requested changes & accepted later]: UI: 3D Viewport text edit menus.
- D7203 [requested changes]: Dialog Alert and Info Editor Icon Colors.
- D7145 [commented]: Don't draw icons if the widget is too small.
- D7234 [suggested changes, accepted later]: VSE: don't allow strip preview when clicking on the scrubbing region.
- D7238 [sugested changes & accepted]: VSE: don't allow strip preview when clicking on the scrubbing region.
- D7119 [requested changes]: Region "Hover" Refactor.
- D7263 [accepted]: UI: Add missing operators to menus in the 3D Viewport Mesh Edit mode.
- Again: Work on the remaining tasks for the first VR milestone (71347).
- More patch review
- Bug tracker
March 16 - March 22
This week was all about merging the VR patches. With success!
- During review, it was suggested to change the way we manage VR view shading. We discussed this in T71347 and in the Blender chat, and came to a conclusion which I implemented (1792bf1c0a1c, rBA4efd565cb9a8, 3f114cd22981).
- VR finally landed on Tuesday. That is, the main VR patches. (406bfd43040a, rBdc2df8307f41, rBA636b4ca23dbe)
- Overall the merges seem to have gone smooth. Of course there were a few things to fix, but they were all small and mostly build system issues on specific platforms.
- Contacted the informal "VR team" to let them know about the merge and discuss further steps. There's no new, non-public info there yet. This is just an informal poke that should be followed up by public records.
- Last week's report didn't schedule documentation work for this week, which was an oversight. I spent quite some time on this.
- Took some time to write informative commit messages (esp. for dc2df8307f41). They should give other developers enough context to reason about changes.
- Release notes: Created an own page for VR.
- Manual: Added entries for the new VR add-on and HMD usage. The latter is essentially the getting started guide to refer users to.
- Developer Documentation: Updated developer documentation I wrote early and moved it to the more official developer docs.
- Joined the Bender Everyday livestream on Friday to talk about the VR project!
- Fix BPY enum property definiton failing if items contain spaces (dd416681fbb0).
I'd like to catch up with things that I neglected a bit in favor of getting VR in:
- Patch review
- Bug tracker classification
- Feedback on GSoC proposals and helping students to get started.
- Work on the remaining tasks for the first VR milestone (71347).
March 9 - March 15
Lots and lots of polishing for the VR patches. Unfortunately, I didn't get them in yet because the back-and-forth for the review takes more time then I hoped. The last patch for C-side changes is also less contained and had less time for polish, so it needed more work than earlier patches.
But: We're really close!
- Finally decided to look into why Eevee rendering is so unusable in VR, while waiting on review by other devs. Turns out this was a very simple to fix issue. Now Eevee works surprisingly well! Honestly I didn't expect it to work that well. (29addd436029)
- A number of bigger, or at least non-trivial refactors (6ae083987934, c18d50320556, e07f2aec7e72, 4ad5449c92f9, 5ea28551cb37, 8a87e48b18ff)
- Lots of cleanups and smaller fixes
- Created patch D7113: Allow WM-reports to be displayed as popups (wanted for VR)
- T74585: Crash when scrolling viewport shading pop-up (dc3ff1db3f6a)
- Fix failing assert because of invalid region coordinates (214cc3c24519)
- D7024 [accepted]: Drag & Drop on panels in 3d view behaves unexpectedly.
- Still: Get remaining VR patches into master!
- Patch review
- Work on the remaining tasks for the first VR milestone (T71347).