October 14 - 18
This week I finished two of the main patches for 2.82 sculpt mode, the topology slide/relax tools and the sculpt face maps.
- Blender Conference
- D6088 Fix T70866: Missing PBVH updates after mask undo
- D6080 Fix EEVEE sculpt mask rendering
- D6070 Sculpt Facemap
- D6059 Sculpt: Topology Slide/Relax
- Fix T70790: Crash in sculpt mode switching from two meshes after reload saved file 970d7ed860f.
- Fix T70839: Sculpt brushes stop affecting after using move, rotate or scale tools 082fb6603d5.
- I updated the sculpt vertex colors patch to support all new brush parameters introduced for texture paint
- I made 2 demo files for the 2.81 release.
October 7 - 11
This week I started coding the final patches for 2.82 sculpt mode. I hope to have all bigger features ready next week to make a demo at the Blender Conference.
- Finish the 2.82 sculpt mode bigger features
- Fix new bugs that may appear in the tracker for 2.81
- D6044 Paint: Option to disable antialiasing
- D6042 Fix T70687: Deleting sculpting mask extraction causes crash
- D6022 Sculpt: Invert Scrape to Fill
- D6020 Fix T70636: Detect resize direction based on initial mouse movement
- D6011 Enable normal radius fix for all brushes
- Sculpt: Fix wireframe drawing d95bb087d03.
- Fix T70544: Mesh extracted from Mask crash Blender when using Dyntopo a630e46a582.
- Fix multires cursor not displaying the active vertex e79fc33fda7.
- Fix T70554: Snake Hook + Ctrl does not set the brush stroke in its normal direction 06c5520bda4.
- Sculpt: Fix projection artifacts by changing the voxel remesh isovalue abc36cad833.
- Paint: 2D paint brush stroke antialiasing ce22efb4258.
- Sculpt/Paint: Invert curve alpha overlay 525a8bdf1dd.
- Sculpt: Update only modified grids on multires undo afb9bdc320a.
- Fix T70387: Sculpting with Original Normal rips edges 29707e34376.
September 30 - October 4
2.81 sculpt mode is ready. This week I did the last tweaks, bug fixes paches and performance optimizations. Next week I can start with new projects.
- Start planning the 2.82 projects
- Fix new bugs that may appear in the tracker
- D5998 Sculpt/Paint: Invert curve alpha overlay
- D5996 Sculpt: Change default min_iter_per_thread
- D5994 Sculpt: Update only modified grids on multires undo
- D5993 Sculpt: Split normal radius and area radius
- D5982 Fix T70387: Sculpting with Original Normal rips edges
- D5975 Sculpt Vertex Colors
- D5960 Sculpt: Vertex group to mask conversion operators
- D5949 Sculpt/Paint: Dash Ratio and Dash Samples
- D5938 Fix T70342: QuadriFlow with the new symmetry option creates holes at the center
- Sculpt: Clay Strips brush tweaks d590db83705.
- Fix T70499: Can't change Brush Texture Rotation without holding the Shift key. 2b55a1da50d.
- Fix sculpt normal update in SculptDraw brush 67f9b94291c.
- Fix T70299: Grab brush not working as expected when Ctrl is press 3bbe01dad33.
- Fix T66312: Undo does not restore normals correctly in sculpt mode ae7bea265d0.
- Sculpt: Disable remesh operators with Multires 6db6267d85e.
- Fix T69227: Ignore inbetween mouse events in Snake Hook d6c440bd7ad.
- Fix T70102: Mask Extract bad solution 8a1f4fc8a78.
- Use PBVH_FullyMasked flag in mesh filter a1f16ba67fc.
- Fix T70358: Use face count in Quadriflow by default 3052229264c.
- Fix T70310: Difficult to change brush size from big to small 606af693fb5.
- Fix T70324: Layer Brush has bad behaviours and create artifacts 29f25da7692.
- Fix default cursor blue color fb62c578bc0.
- Fix bug in nearest_vertex_get_finalize ed59c32b0c4.
- PBVH: PBVH_FullyMasked and PBVH_FullyUnmasked flags e8f6f70846e.
- Fix T70385: Pose brush breaks when using pose origin offset 3dc027add39.
- Fix PBVH search callback in pose and elastic deform 61efeb6df98.
- Sculpt: Only redraw nodes where the mask changed 6b419c18b05.
- I made the first version of the Pose Brush with inverse kinematics. The patch is almost ready.
- The sculpt vertex colors patch is on review. We need to agree on what features and changes should include the first patch of this feature.
- I added brush stroke antialiasing to the 2D paint line fixes patch.
September 23 - 27
Sculpt mode for 2.81 is almost finished. Almost all UI/UX changes are in master. Next weeks I will focus on performance I will start designing the 2.82 features.
- Sculpt mode performance
- Multilayer/multichannel painting design task
- Fix bugs
- D5935 PBVH: PBVH_FullyMasked and PBVH_FullyUnmasked flags
- D5934 Fix T70324: Layer Brush has bad behaviours and create artifacts
- D5933 Fix T70326: Some bad behaviours with Voxel Remesh
- D5931 Fix T70310: Difficult to change brush size from big to small
- D5929 Sculpt: Update bounding boxes only on stroke done
- D5927 Sculpt: Enable pinch in draw sharp
- D5923 Sculpt: Only redraw nodes where the mask changed
- D5920 Fix T70299: Grab brush not working as expected when Ctrl is press
- D5895 Fix T66312: Undo don't restor proper geometry in sculpt mode
- D5871 Fix topbar padding to fit the tool icons
- Sculpt: Sculpt cursor UX improvements be985bdde27.
- Voxel remesh: Enable adaptivity c372318165c.
- Sculpt: Use func_finalize instead of mutex 82136bb36ef.
- Sculpt: Pose brush origin offset 6a74b7c14b3.
- Fix T70291: Sculpt remesh inverts normal when fix poles is activated 7ae549448ea.
- Fix T56497: Snake hook sculpt brush slips off and affects the part of the mesh behind 9df9fb33244.
- Fix T70280: QuadriFlow remesh with "Use Paint Symmetry" and "Smooth Normals" may give wrong normals 97f4d4c66eb.
- Sculpt: Enable accumulate in scrape brush 2bef8c5ea8b.
- Fix accumulate in Draw Sharp brush a933237d687.
- Quadriflow: Symmetry support e5c9bf3aa28.
- Voxel Remesh: Fix poles and preserve volume 454c1a5de4c.
- Sculpt: Brush default settings a0d4c2e607f.
- Sculpt: UI fixes and improvements 7c544626b71.
- Fix T70140: Topology Automasking and 2D Falloff don't work correctly together aea8c0102ac.
- Fix T69875: Sculpt Scene Spacing breaks with Adjust Strength for Spacing enabled a9d3e95bea0.
- Fix crash in dynamic mesh preview edge list update a7904dff4be.
- I did some performance experiments to make the sculpt tools update only clipped nodes when previewing the result. This still needs a final implementation.
September 16 - 20
This week I worked on improvements for some of the sculpt tools, operators and UI. Patches to fix the volume preservation and symmetry in the remeshers are ready to review, which were the most important issues we have in the behaviour of the new features.
- Continue fixing bugs in the tools
- Continue working on the UI/UX of sculpt mode
- D5863 Voxel remesh: Fix poles and preserve volume
- D5855 Quadriflow: Symmetry support
- D5849 Fix T69875: Sculpt Scene Spacing breaks with Adjust Strength for Spacing enabled
- D5848 Fix T70020: Sculpt mode transform tools fail with cursor orientation
- D5846 Sculpt: Separate option for dynamic mesh preview
- D5841 Sculpt: Pose brush origin offset
- D5833 Paint: 2D paint line improvements
- D5826 Sculpt: Enable accumulate in scrape brush
- D5824 Fix crash in dynamic mesh preview edge list update
- D5814 Fix accumulate in draw sharp brush
- D5813 Sculpt: Brush default settings
- Fix remesher operator poll function 85acd72c9be.
- Fix T69580: Smooth brush freezes on highpoly mesh a1318d24155.
- Fix T69984: Cursor curve Alpha doesn't display curves other than Custom 16a384b4855.
- Sculpt: Split original normal into original normal and plane 04843d1572f.
- Fix enabled dynamic size in pose brush fb39f1776f6.
- Sculpt: Rename pinch to magnify in some brushes 0927e7b8355.
- Fix topology automasking when starting from a boundary vertex 54b690897ec.
- Sculpt: Add pose origin preview to the Pose Brush 58214ab52a6.
September 9 - 13
All sculpting features of the sculpt branch are now in master. I spent the week updating the patches, fixing bugs and doing some UX improvements to the new tools.
- Continue fixing bugs in the tools
- Work on the UI/UX of sculpt mode
- D5789 Fix T69747: Texture Paint: alpha not used in gradient
- D5761 Sculpt: add pose origin preview to the pose brush
- D5792 Cursor color theme setting
- D5791 Show the number of verts & faces for selected objects in object mode
- D5780 Fix assert when canceling a sculpt mode transform operation
- Fix T69816: Using Transform gizmos in Sculpt Mode while MultiRes is activated crashes Blender 27b82bbb75c.
- Fix T69804: Transform tools in sculpt mode fails with transformed objects f71d89bb047.
- Fix T69737: Crash using the Elastic Deform brush and Compressibility 70a93477052.
- Fix T69722: Pose brush crashes with multires modifier d84d49280bd.
- Sculpt: Transform tool 309cd047ef4.
- Fix T69729: Missing Direction buttons in Draw Sharp brush fa12428ede9.
- Fix T69723: Crash with mask expand operator while in rendered or material view 841df2b98e7.
- Sculpt: Grab Active Vertex and Dynamic Mesh Preview a3e7440cfdd.
- Fix warning and naming in mask expand e0f7ada0d2b.
- Sculpt: Mask Extract operator cfb3011e521.
- Sculpt: Mask Expand operator 0083c961259.
- Sculpt: Pose Brush bfbee878313.
- Sculpt: Topology automasking 2b2739724e6.
- Sculpt: Mask Filter and Dirty Mask generator 13206a6dc04.
- Sculpt: Mesh Filter Tool 6a4df70d411.
- Sculpt: Elastic Deform Brush 70c1aaf59ba.
- Sculpt: Draw Sharp Brush 70991bfd94a.
September 2 - 6
This week I updated all sculpt branch patches following the revision. Most of them are now ready for master. I also started looking at the 2D texture painting code and I did some initial improvements there as it is the next area I want to focus on.
- Rebase and commit the sculpt branch patches
- Fix bugs in the sculpt branch tools
- Depending on the number of bugs, improve the 2D painting stabilizer
- D5717: Sculpt: Transform tool
- D5697: Texture paint: 2D painting improvements
- D5676: Paint: Stroke step queue
- D5658: Edit Mesh: loop at cursor position - WIP
- Fix T69548: Sculpt scene spacing breaks when object pivot not at origin 6d8a86c07d5f
- I started doing some experiments to improve the 2D painting stabilizer
- Add scaling support to the sculpt mode transform tool
August 26 - 30
All patches from the sculpt branch that I would like to include in 2.81 are now ready to review except for the transform tool. The sculpt related part of that tool is working fine in the sculpt branch, but the gizmo/pivot point part needs to be reworked. Maybe it's easier now that we have the transform origins option.
- Continue fixing the patches for the sculpt branch
- Sculpt: transform tool
- Edit mesh: loop at cursor position
- D5384: Sculpt: Mask extract operator
- D5634: Sculpt: Regularized Kelvinlets brushes
- D5645: Sculpt: Topology automasking
- D5646: Sculpt: Grab active vertex
- D5647: Sculpt: Pose brush
- D5657: Sculpt: Mask expand operator
- Sculpt/Paint: Brush world spacing option for sculpt mode 87cafe92ce2f
- Sculpt: new brush cursor, active vertex and normal radius e0c792135adf
- Edit Mesh: Poly build tool improvements d8baafd693eb
- Fix T68763: Smooth Brush not working in LookDev or Rendered Mode 8e4f3b2bb070
- Fix Poly Build crash with empty meshes d5ed3de65451
- Sculpt branch: fix pose brush with multiple symmetry axis active, add radius preview.
- Merge mask by normal and mask expand into a single operator