August 31 - September 11
Next week: The main plain is to go over the LTS fixes and map them to when they were introduced (<2.83? 2.83 bcon1, bcon2, bcon3, bcon4?) Still need to collect code design and engineer plans with Sergey. Need to discuss the hair plan of attack with Sebbas.
August 24 - 28
- Helped coordinate 2.90 release (postponed to Monday though).
- Added "Code Review" menu entries for all the modules.
- Organized the upcoming Tuesday Talks.
Next week: Final 2.90 Release, First edition of Tuesday Talk, roadmap updates, code design and engineering examples.
August 17 - 21
Wrote the drafts for new articles on code.blender.org:
Next week: 2.90 release mainly, specifically get the sample files published.
August 10 - 14
- Update 2.91 page with latest dates (and added the sprints to the release documents).
- A few discussions about sculpting (e.g., D8558)
- Had a few design meetings about asset browser, and particles with Ton and Brecht (+ Julien and Bastien for the asset browser).
Next week: Article with Sergey about code quality day. Possibly article about EMBREE if Stefan can't do it.
August 4 - 7
- Worked on the preparation week for the release communication - contacted artists for artwork, did a final pass in big regressions (e.g., T79567).
- Bf-usd mailing list created.
- VSE and Compositor stereoscopy fix
- Trying to stremline the Monday meetings:
July 28 - 31
- Meeting about particles
- Meeting about property search
- Prepared Particles presentation material (and design polishing) for Monday.
Next Week: bug spring week and release communication week.
July 21 - 24
- CHAOSS/GrimoireLab setup for testing
- Exercise on VSE user story mapping
- Failed attempt to help the Blender animation studio for collection origin display
June 30 - July 3
- LTS post-mortem with Pablo, Nathan and Jeroen.
- Bug sprint proposal finalized and published.
- Job interview for potential new DevOps & Operations.
- New demo file: Blender 2.83 splashscreen.
- Next Week
- (July 20) catch up, meeting with CHAOSS developer to quickly setup a dashboard for Blender (to test their system), focus on bcon3/beta.
June 23 - 26
- Helped the 2.83.1 LTS release
- Worked on the upcoming job openings for Blender (developer community manager and DevOps & operations)
- Reorganized the experimental features
- Tested motion blur and property search
- Next Week
- Better define the dashboard project implementation (to show recent graphs from phabricator - new bugs, ...). Finish the job openings.
- dd9c0dbf5e Experimental Features: Use different "categories" for different features
June 15 - 19
- Finished the canned responses patch.
- Worked with the module owners to get their roadmaps up to date and update their landing page.
- Meetings about the future of the UI module, as well as the sculpting module.
- New blogpost about the modules roadmaps.
- Bonus: Presented 2020/2021 10 big projects live-stream in Portuguese for Visgraf/IMPA.
June 9 - 12
New modules organized:
Next Week: Remaining module pages updates, follow up meetings for modules (UI & Sculpt) and finish the canned responses.
June 2 - 5
This week was mostly dedicated to the Blender 2.83 release. The port-mortem meeting notes from part of the release team is coming later. Also wrapped up the dailypoke discussions, clarified the LTS.
Next Week: Roadmap meetings, and module pages updates.
May 25 - 29
I could not find time to work in a dashboard proposal, but have been focusing on the release (bcon changes, checking the tracker, testing old files, ...). Besides investigating the stereoscopic issue with Clément that in the end was reported upstream.
- Wrap up bug fixing spring (graph, mini-report on weekly dev meeting).
- Help to add new override bug/targets based on feedback by Tangent T73318
- bcon4 regressions hunting (T77173, T77167).
- General bcon4 coordination (check bugs, change bcon everywhere, ...)
- New entry in the bug triaging playbook to include "Blender doesn't run / crashes" scenario
- Fix T77105: Crashes when clicking "new scene" button 1c3b2b5dd8.
- Cleanup: Remove uneeded NULL checks on ed_screen_context 14b1c55e11.
- Revert "UI: View3D Cursor Changes" 219ce574b5.
Next Week: More Testing for release, decide on the daily-poke future, and if possible some dashboard discussion.
May 18 - 22
- Helped refine and post the LTS pilot.
- Tracker to help the bug sprint fortnight (fixing bugs, finding untagged, closing resolved reports).
- Discussions on the UI process (result in reverting the cursor change so it can be presented in a more comprehensive way in 2.90).
Bug sprint progress graph:
Next Week: Testing for release, help with at least an issue, if possible some dashboard discussion.
May 11 - 15
- Published https://code.blender.org/2020/05/tracker-curfew-wrap-up/
- Organizing the Bug Fixing Sprint.
- Fixed manual Python API mapping of camera properties.
- Triaging/closing fixed reports to help the bug fixing sprint.
Next Week: Decide on dashboard project, more help on bug fixing sprint, probably move forward with the LTS discussion.
May 4 - 8
- Welcome students to Google Summer of Code, onboarding (wiki + git access).
- Report on remote productivity.
- Finished first pass for the tracker curfew metrics code.blender.org post.
- Notes on UI feedback meeting on #blendercoders from April 20th (not published, but to be used for meeting with UI team).
April 27 - May 1
- Finished coordinating the Google Summer of Code slots assignment.
- More work in metrics for developer.blender.org (https://gitlab.com/dfelinto/blender-metrics).
- First pass of LTS proposal discussion with Ton and Francesco.
- Draft for job position for development infrastructure.
Work in Progress Graphs:
Next Week: Wrapping metrics with a post on code.blender.org, LTS proposal and Google Summer of Docs application (couldn't do this week again).
April 20 - 24
Google Summer of Code (final slots assigned/selected); Working in metrics for developer.blender.org; Meeting on Infrastructure plan of action.
Work in Progress Graphs:
Next Week: Wrapping metrics, LTS proposal and Google Summer of Docs application (couldn't do this week).
April 13 - 17
Google Summer of Code and working in metrics for phabricator. This should help wrapping up the tracker curfew, assess where triaging and will be the foundation for a dashboard in the future.
Next Week: Wrapping metrics, GSoC (final pass, sending slots request, ...) and Google Summer of Docs application.
April 6 - 10
Meeting about Development Management - Communication, fixed a bug on VSE and stereoscopy and recorded the entire process.
- VSE - Stereoscopy 3D bug fixing (3h30)
- Dive into the code | Blender Everyday #11
- Developers Q&A | BlenderToday #98
- Fix T71546: VSE stereoscopic strips issues with mismatched dimensions 9c5b054206.
- Cleanup: VSE rename i to view_id for stereo 3d code 07bb7206c2.
Next Week: Wrap up the tracker curfew (and metrics from phabricator).
March 30 - April 3
Finished WBSO, meeting about Modules and Roles, GSoC proposals triaging, and code quality cleanup (LISTBASE_FOREACH).
- Code Quality: Replace for loops with LISTBASE_FOREACH d138cbfb47.
- Cleanup: Including "BLI_listbase.h" for LISTBASE_FOREACH macro b0c1184875.
- Revert "Fix T72688: Vertex Group Weights in Edit Mode Occludes In Front Armatures" fa8a3c8f26.
Next Week: More WBSO (meeting with consulting firm on Monday, it may requires extra work afterwards); and want to think/propose a good way to handle communication with bf-admins and eventually all the developers (regarding decision making, ...).
March 23 - 27
A lot of the week was taken by WBSO (subsidies form) and an on going early discussion about the release management process and roles. The final outcome of the release management proposal will still be made public.
Next week: Finish WBSO, and wrap up the release management process with all involved parties happy and go public about it.
March 16 - 22
Worked with Sem Mulder on finishing up the blender metrics projects (still needs work), started a table to organize the weekly work of every developer.
Finished and committed the code-cleanup "SortedIncludes". Also spent considerable time debugging and simplifying T74984 for the studio.
Next week: Finish queries with Sem, WBSO with Francesco.
March 9 - 15
Fixed some old-standing 2.8 stereo issues in the viewport. Final touches and publishing the asset manager article.
Next week: Organize online coordination, phabricator analize (queries, ...).
- Fix stereoscopy reference image drawing in the viewport 6bcb6a0ea6.
- Fix stereoscopy drawing for camera background 5593efec01.
- Bug report preset update (last worked version) 16ed7aebf2.
- Fix T74516: Armature Crash on Select Similar Group b198cef89f.
- Cleanup: Clarify places to look for subversion bump dc8bb3f3a0.
March 2 - 6
Moved asset manager article to code.blender.org (unpublished), and did an monthly delivery planning for the 10 big projects of 2020.
February 24 - 28
Article about asset manager (to be published), LTS discussions, and overall testing of the pending branches for 2.83 (reported a few bugs in greasepencil and volume branches.
February 17 - 21
UI/UX Workshop, coordinating the coding day for the full-time triagers, and organizing second phase of tracker curfew.
February 10 - 14
Blender 2.82 release management, cleaned up sample files for the demo page, and organized some of the remaining curfew tasks (i.e., cleanup the non-bf_blender tasks).
February 3 - 7
Worked mostly in the release logs.
January 27 - 31
Published the big projects for 2020 in code.blender.org, finished the FOSDEM presentation, and started to think about the big topic for February: modules, the roles in it, what to expect from developers, how to use devtalk (subforums as work places), patch review process. The week was a bit short for me due the the DoS attack on blender.org (need access to developer.blender.org for my next two tasks).
- Next Week
Organize the code quality day (on Friday, but send the email and create the tasks prior to that), formalize the ideas for modules and to what to do with the backlog of patches (still think closing all pre-2.8 may be ok, but need developer.blender.org for that), reserve some time for meetings with Jacques Luck.
January 20 - 24
Presented the 2020 big projects to Ton, then to the studio, then created the tasks online (failed to find time to do the FOSDEM presentation).
- New projects tasks
- T73317 - Multires
- T73318 - Library overrides
- T73324 - Particles Nodes
- T73201 - New volume object type
- T68981 - New hair object type
- T68908 - Faster animation playback
- T73359 - Scene editing in object mode
- T73360 - Fast highpoly mesh editing
- T73363 - Alembic / USD
- T73366 - Asset Manager “Basics”
- Next Week
Add the projects to their corresponding module pages, blog post about the 2020 projects, final FOSDEM presentation.
January 13 - 17
Planning for 2020 projects, draft of FOSDEM presentation, devtalk changes, and regular tracker/management work.
- Next Week
Formalize and bring developers up to pair with the main 2020 projects and finalize FOSDEM presentation.
January 6 - 10
Synced the entire team regarding the tracker curfew, built an initial graph system to keep track of the progress of the work.
- Next Week
FOSDEM presentation, devtalk new scope proposal, finish up the graphs to follow the curfew.