Reference/Release Notes/Dev:Ref/Release Notes/2.78/Performance update
Blender 2.78b Release Notes
Blender 2.78b is a performance update release which mainly includes speedups for Cycles rendering.
- Multithreaded shader compilation.
- Various optimizations for emission meshes.
- Corrected light sampling for Branched Path Tracing, reduces noise leading to faster convergency.
- Improvements in constant folding algorithm, removing shading nodes which are not used for final evaluaiton.
- Improvements to some procedural textures (brick)
- Early light ray termination based on contribution of light to the result.
- Fix for background MIS with textures having small bright spots, which was causing fireflies.
- Different seed for subframes and different stereo views, allowing "slow-motion" effect and improves VR experience.
- Distance culling for objects to remove objects which are too far away from the camera.
- Fix for undesirable threads affinity change on Windows.
- Avoid various numerical issues in the kernel, solving fireflies.
- Fixes for deformation motion blur combined with autosplit.
- Better remainedtime estimation.
- Various optimizations for deformation motion blur.
- Added time steps BVH option to speed up rendering of scenes with motion blur.
- Hair particle settings were moved to Geometry panel of Render context.
- Beckmann/GGX distribution with 0 roughness is now considered a singular ray
- Use XDG folder for cache on Linux and OSX, which avoids having per-Blender version folder with all the OpenCL/CUDA kernels built.
- Ability to enable/disable individual GPUs as opposite to old behavior with pre-defined combinations only. Not only this helps to some artists, but also makes it possible to have flexible benchmark scripting.
- Use more global SSE optimizations for SSE4.1+ kernels.
- Multiple improvements for the latest AVX2 CPUS:
- Optimized various math utilities (cross-products, dot-products, min-axis-selection and others).
- Faster version of triangle intersection function.
- Optimization of various steps in BVH traversal algorithm (including both construction and traversal).
- Added 3D textures support for OpenCL
- Make it conditional to compile-in transparent shadows support. Depending on a scene and hardware gives really major render time improvements.
- Solve various race conditions (conflicts between threads which are working on the same data).
- Optimization of dependency graph construction time.
- Fix missing or wrong relation links, which were causing hard-to-reproduce bone flickering.
- Fix various crashes related on linked data blocks.
- Fixes for missing animation updates.
- Fixed regression crash when adding texture node to compositor.
- Fixed crash of inverse kinematics on 32 bit Windows platforms
- Improve multi-threaded usage of fluid simulation
- Return correct alpha for environment map in GLSL