Sculpt, Paint, Texture
- Performance and memory usage have been improved when face sets, hiding, and masking aren't used (b5f7af31d6).
- Significant performance improvement for reprojecting attributes when using the voxel remesher (bad55d56bc).
- New popover in the 3D Viewport header to manage all auto-masking options (db40b62252).
This UI makes the auto-masking toggles more accessible and discoverable.
Each setting is now properly ordered. For even faster access use the pie menu shortcut
The same UI is used for the brush settings as well. Any brush auto-masking toggle of the active brush will override the mode auto-masking toggles.
- Cavity auto-masking toggles in the options and brush settings (0156a677c7).
Instead of manually creating a cavity mask, this auto-masking option provides a faster way of painting and sculpting with Cavity.
"Inverted", "Factor", "Blur" and a "Custom Curve" give extra control to fine tune the cavity mask. Use the "Create Mask" button to convert the auto-mask into a regular mask attribute (To edit it further or just visualize it).
This includes a new "Mask From Cavity" operator, which replaced the old "Dirty Mask" menu operator.
- Area and View Normal auto-masking toggles in the options and brush settings (0156a677c7).
These auto-masking options are great for selectively painting/sculpting from specific angles. "View Normal" uses the viewing angle, while "Area Normal" uses the normal direction of the brush cursor from the start of the stroke.
"Limit" & "Falloff" define how many angles are included in the auto-mask and how soft the mask is.
An additional "Occlusion" toggle allows more precise projection painting at the cost of performance.
For more information see auto-masking documentation in the manual.
- Face Sets are now opt-in, meaning that primitive objects do not have a Face Set attribute by default. As a result when objects are joined or modeling changes are made in Edit Mode, any new geometry will not automatically be assigned a Face Set, improving performance and removing visual clutter when not used. (e8291f4504)
- Weight and Vertex painting will use the whole modifier stack if it produces no topology changes, to allow painting with weight layering using Geometry Nodes or Weight Mix modifiers. (9823a8f72b)