Reference/Release Notes/2.83/Grease Pencil
Blender 2.83: Grease Pencil
Completely rewritten from scratch, the new Grease Pencil is much faster and better integrated with Blender. (29f3af9527)
- FPS improvement for files with high amount of strokes.
- Blender Lights now affect Grease Pencil objects materials.
- VFX results are zoom independent and look the same in viewport or render.
- Better management of alpha avoiding all known issues.
- Update Viewport shading modes for better consistency with meshes.
- Mask system refactor.
- Smoother Drawing of Fast Strokes.
- Better Stroke Quality when drawing hard angles.
- Grease Pencil shader Updates:
- UI and names updates.
- Fill checkerboard was removed.
- Add Alpha control to stroke and Fill Base colors.
- Updated 2D Animation template
- Full review of Grease Pencil Brushes UI (topbar and Properties Editor) for consistency with other Blender brushes.
- Review of Brush presets to improve drawing experience.
- Control to activate the use of Blender lights in Grease Pencil objects.
- New Materials preset.
- Modifiers, Updates UI to be more consistent with other Blender Modifiers.
- New context menus.
- Animation (I key).
- Change the Active Layer (Y key).
- New Active Layer selector in Brushes context menu.
- New Toggle to scale the stroke thickness while editing strokes.
- New Masks List view.
- Dopesheet, Remove Active Only control, now it shows only Grease Pencil that are in the current scene.
- Overlays updates.
- New Material Name option.
- New Vertex Paint opacity.
- New Show Stroke Directions (Moved from Viewport Diplay in Properties panel).
- Fade objects and Grease Pencil objetcs updates.
- Grid now is occluded by 3D geometry if the geometry is in front.
- New Operators for Materials and Vertext color.
- New Merge Similar Materials operator.
- New Reset fill transform.
- Updates in Paint operators to better result when drawing fast strokes.
- New complete Vertex Paint Mode Tools.
- Sculpt and Weight Paint brushes and are now real Blender Brushes.
- Sculpt, Weight and Vertex Paint brushes now support all types of falloff curves.
- Eyedropper tool now support the creation of Materials or Palettes color.
- New Transform Fill tool to adjust UV.
- New Tint tool for adding vertex color while in Draw Mode.
- Draw brushes, color toggle to use Base color material or Vertex Color.
- Updated Modifiers UI to be more consistent with other Modifiers in Blender.
- Influence Filters updates.
- Panel was unified and more compact for all modifiers.
- New Custom Curves to shape the modifier effect along the strokes.
- Tint Modifier, add color Gradient functionality.
- Array Modifier, removed Keep on top option.
- Multiple Strokes modifier, Removed Angle Split from.
- Tint, Opacity and HSV modifiers, Removed Create Material option.
- Now modifiers support Link operator to duplicate between objects. (d8c3aad800)
- Effects only visible in Render mode.
- Blur VFX, Camera Depth of field improvements and add blur rotation.
- Colorize VFX, add Mix factor for all the modes.
- Glow VFX, add Blend modes, size and rotation.
- Swirl VFX, Removed Transparent option.
- Removed Light VFX (now replaced with the use of Blender Lights).