Blender 2.74: Modeling
Modelling improvements include: A new Custom Normals system to make normals editable, new ways to transfer mesh data between meshes, several improvements for the transform tools like a new Inverse-Square Blending mode for Proportional Editing, improvements for other tools such as a tool to ensure convex geometry, a new "Connect Vertex Path" tool, ...
Meshes now support custom normals, i.e. normals differing from automatically computed ones. Main current features are Py accessors to allow importing of custom normals (use by FBX importer so far), ability to transfer normals in DataTransfer tools (see below), and a modifier to do some basic normal editing ('Radial' normals for low-poly trees, and 'Directional' ones to make them point towards a given target).
More on the the manual page
Examples of using custom normals to import CAD-generated geometry and get correct shading - on top, pre-2.74 result, on bottom, 2.74 import with custom normals.
Examples of edit custom normals to point towards a give direction - shading trick often used in games to enhance trees and other vegetation at a cheap cost.
The .blend file of this example, credits to zeauro (Ronan Ducluzeau).
Mesh Data Transfer
New operator and modifier to transfer data layers from one mesh to another, using various mapping methods. UVs, VCols and VGroups are supported, not yet shape keys.
See also the manual page…
- Weight transfer button/menu entry in WeightPaint mode now uses that generic modifier, old vgroup-specific one has been removed. All things possible with old modifier should remain possible with new one, though.
Here is an example of using data transfer to edit custom normals (with the .blend file File:Data Transfer Normal Torus.blend), credits to zeauro (Ronan Ducluzeau).
- Hook modifier now has multiple falloff options, as well as custom curve falloff.
There is also an option to compensate for non-uniform scale to better support hooks & lattices (which are often using non-uniform scale) (c69458985cdb0c)
- 'Edge Slide' now supports UV Islands (2d1e07268645b)
- 'Vertex Slide' now supports UV correction (2d1e07268645b481)
- Added inverse-square blending for proportional-edit-mode 02acfdab9eeb0
- 'Fit camera view' has been enhanced, it now also works with orthographic cameras (780bb88a7a5b30)
- 'Split Concave Faces' tool has been added so you can make sure all your Quads/NGons are convex.
Access from 'Mesh -> Cleanup' menu (64124ba904dc).
- 'Connect Vertex Path' tool has been added, to connect vertices in the order they're selected, running a second time closes the loop (b1dbda143da3)
- 'Vertex Connect' (Jkey) can connect multiple selected points (b1dbda143da35)
- 'Vertex Connect' (Jkey) can connect vertices by edges (as well as splitting faces) (b1dbda143da)
- Select similar faces in Edit mode has a new option, select by Flat/Smooth shading (c79c48cc93b5)