|UI location||Group: Mesh|
|Version||1.0 - 2006.02.07||Author(s)||Campbell Barton|
|Blender||2.42 - present||License||GPL|
|Note(s)||Included in Blender 2.42a - 2.46.|
|Links||Included in Blender|
Mode: Edit Mode (Mesh)
Menu: Mesh → Scripts → Poly Reducer
This tool can be used instead of blenders decimator modifier as a way to remove polygons from a mesh while keeping the original shape as much as possible.
Reasons you may want to use a polygon reducer are:
- To make 3D Scanned data useable when rendering and editing.
- Generate Level Of Detail models (LOD's), for games or simulation models.
- To speed up render times.
Poly Reduce is accessed from editmode and will operate on the entire mesh.
On activation a popup will be appear with the following options.
- Poly Reduce
- Scale the meshes poly count by this value.
- Boundary Weight
- Weight boundary verts by this scale. Zero disables boundary weighting.
A boundary vert is a vert that is not completely surrounded by faces. Some meshes have no boundary verts. eg. a cube has no boundary verts where a plane has all boundary verts.
- Area Weight
- Collapse edges affecting lower area faces first. Zero disables area weighting.
- Convert quads to tris before reduction, for more choices of edges to collapse.
The advantage of triangulating is you have a larger set of edges to choose from when collapsing giving a higher quality result.
- UV Coords
- Interpolate UV Coords (if existing)
- Vert Colors
- Interpolate Vertex Colors (if existing)
- Vert Weights
- Interpolate Vertex Weights. (if existing)
Poly reducer has some advantages and disadvantages compared to Blenders decimator modifier, here are some pros and cons.
- Higher quality resulting mesh.
- Can operate on any mesh, will not throw errors if the mesh has odd face/edge/vert topology.
- Options to control where polygons are removed.
- Keeps materials assigned to faces.
- Maintains UV Texture coordinates, Vertex colors, and Vertex Group Weights (used for bone weight painting) - This makes it very useful for game/realtime models.
- Fairly Slow
- Uses a lot of memory
- Python & Plugins forum at Blender Artists.