Blender 2.76 Release Notes
In this release:
- Initial support for Pixar's OpenSubdiv geometry subdivision technology.
- A huge view-port performance boost.
- Big file browser performance boost and arrow keys navigation support.
- Node Auto-offset feature that helps organizing node layouts.
- Absolute grid snapping in the 3D view.
- Sculpting with tiled strokes.
- Text effect strips for the sequencer, supporting subtitle export.
- And: 100s of bug fixes and other improvements!
- New Point Density texture.
- Improvements for AMD GPUs (stability on Windows / Linux and compatibility with OSX El Capitan).
- Camera zoom motion blur support.
- Support for extended and clipped image texture extension.
- View-port: The ongoing view-port project brought a big performance boost.
- Node Editor: Auto-offset existing nodes when adding a new one.
- File Browser:
- Arrow-key navigation and selection.
- Huge rework of internal code, now quicker & lighter.
- It's now possible to display the correct (user edited) shortcuts of modal operations in the UI.
- Two new tools: Flatten Faces and Edge Offset.
- Data Transfer supports transferring data between equal meshes better.
- Absolute grid snapping for the 3D view was added.
- Support custom normals for the Displace Modifier.
- Initial integration of the Pixar OpenSubdiv library.
- Greatly improves view-port playback performance.
- GPU tessellation support.
- Improves edge sharpness.
- New Text Effect for rendering text into sequencer output.
- Exporting of text as subtitles.
- Speed Effect can re-time scenes with subframe rendering.
- Improved AltRMB selection behavior.
- Freestyle memory consumption was reduced.
- New stroke modifiers were implemented.
- Clean Channels tool was introduced that helps organizing channels.
- A new add-on to create bone selection sets is bundled.
- Possibility of changing camera Lens Shift during game
- Python API improvements.
- Alpha Anti-Aliasing.
- Improved Game Publishing Add-on.
- FBX Importer/Exporter got a number of new options.
- OBJ Importer/Exporter now fully supports MTL emission of materials.
- New version of the UV Add-on with new features.
- Tilled sculpt strokes.
- Animation Player:
- Sound support!
- Pause and start playing using Space.
- A time indicator was added.
- More datablock previews.
- Blender Internal Particle Info Node.
Have a look at some of the above mentioned features in the demo videos made by the Blender community.
Here you will also find the Developer Sneak Peak series - a video podcast series that showcases important milestones in the development of every Blender release.
As for every Blender release, hundreds of bugs were fixed, thanks to the hardworking Blender developers.