2.7x release cycle
Blender 2.78 "BCon" schedule:
- BCon1: April 1 (define targets, branches reviewed & ready)
- BCon2: July 17 (start add branches to git, targets are defined)
- BCon3: August 8 (testing and fixing period)
- BCon4: August 21 (provide test build, fixing only)
- BCon5: September 04 (git frozen, RC a few days after)
More about the development process
- Branch & Patch migration list
- Basic Alembic support link ✓ In Master
- Grease Pencil V2 project (docs follow) ✓ In Master
- Cycles panoramic rendering. ✓ In Master
- Bendy Bones ✓ In Master
- Refactor ID/Library handling code, with lib relocate and reload features. ✓ In Master
See: Blender: Next where release critical tasks are listed.
Release Notes for features already added.
Issues for (new) developers to work on are collected in wiki. It's known todo items, features or fixes that already have been approved to be worked on:
The 2.8 Workflow Project
We plan a more massive update for the Blender 2.8 release. This is considered being the workflow project, since we aim to improve the user experience as it relates to workflow and pipeline.
(list is work in progress, october 2015)
Official Blender branches:
- Gooseberry branch - used for Cosmos Laundromat, with improved hair simulation and alembic support.
- Asset managing and browsing:
- id-remap - cleanup & enhancements of libraries and datablock handling (freeing, reloading, missing-lib-resistant, etc.).
- asset-engine - AE API & test add-on (Amber engine) to add asset management to Blender (brwosing, supporting variants & revisions, etc.).
- See also those blog post and technical design task about the project.
- Etc etc
Official Pipeline and scripting projects:
- BAM (Blender Asset Manager)
Python script that extracts all .blend dependencies and puts it in a zip with new paths.
- Etc etc.
Summer of Code
More info about Google Summer of Code projects.