Blender 2.7x: Latest Production-Ready Version
Git master is still being updated very frequently -- everyday, basically, but the main focus is on fixing bugs.
For users, this is the latest version that can be used for production work, since 2.8 is still in very early stages.
How you can participate:
- Fixing bugs is a great way to help -- it's also the best way to learn about Blender's source code if you are a newcomer
- Reporting problems
- Testing reported issues and informing if they also happen in your machine or not
Before 2.8 there should be at least one more 2.7x maintenance release in 2017: Blender 2.79.
2.8 is the main topic of discussions right now, though, so the target list for 2.79 will only be defined later on.
Blender 2.79 "BCon" schedule:
- BCon1: (define targets, branches reviewed & ready)
- BCon2: Feb 26 (start add branches to git, targets are defined)
- BCon3: April 23 (testing and fixing period)
- BCon4: May ... (provide test build, fixing only)
- BCon5: May ... (git frozen, RC a few days after)
More about the development process
- The PBVH vertex & weight paint patch
- Production color profile "Filmic Blender".
- Cycles shadow catcher
- Cycles denoising, part 1 (Lukas Stockner)
- Cycles split kernel branch (speedup OpenCL)
- Cycles principled BSDF
- Branch & Patch migration list
- Datablock ID Properties Patch (in master)
- Object Info node support for GLSL mode and the internal render Patch (in master)
- Head Mounted Display support (VR, OpenHMD)
- Surface deform modifier (Luca Rood)
- Addons Targets:
- Some new addons to be announced, cleanup of code base & ui/tabs/panel code
- Blender 2.79 Addons Updates