|UI location||3D View, Grow Modeller Panels|
|Version||0.2.7||Author(s)||John Michael Palmer (jump)|
|Current version download||http://projects.blender.org/tracker/download.php/153/467/30288/21355/grow_modeller_0p2p7.zip|
|Python modules||mathutils, math|
On the way
A different way to model objects by growing them. Models are pieced together from modified copies of 'base objects'. Objects can be given 'budnodes' and 'footnodes'. When a copy of a object is made it will be placed so it's footnode is aligned with the budnode of the Object it has 'grown' from. Here are some Models that have been grown:
If you want to leave a comment or example of work using this script please add it here on the Discussion page.
- Uncompress the zip file.
- Move the grow_modeller folder into /2.62/scripts/addons folder in the blender install.
- Run blender
- In the User Preferences select Addons and then Object: Grow Modeller
example blend files
Here are some example blend files that use the grow modeller in each case you just need to load the file (you must have the grow modeller addon running) and click on 'grow model'. If you wish to grow another model, grab the first base object that was selected when the file was opend, move it to a new place in the 3d view, click on 'reset object' then click on 'grow model' again.
A Shell. File:Growmodeller-eg-shell.blend
A Ball Tree. File:Growmodeller-eg-balltree.blend
A Quick Example
|The following introduction grows a a very simple spiral staircase.
Now add a Budnode buy clicking on Bud in the Grow Modeller panel.
In the Grow Modeller panel change the number of generations to 20.
Click on the button Grow Model to grow the model.
You probably won't want all those Grownodes when you continue modelling so you can easily delete them all by first selecting everything A then in the Grow Modeller Select panel clicking on Nodes under To:. Once the selection has been changed to just the grow nodes you can delete them.
Grow Modeller Panels
Grow Modeller Select
Budnode Grows Into
Glossary of Terms used
- Active Age - This is the age range of an object when its budnodes are allowed to grow.
- Age/Object Age - Every time an object is tested for budnodes to grow from, its age is increased by one. Effectively an objects age increases every generation.
- Base Object - These are the objects with the original Mesh data and Grownodes before copies are made.
- Budnode - This is an Empty, parented to an object and has grownode properties. Copies of objects with footnodes are made which attach to budnodes by aligning the budnode and the footnode for the two objects.
- Footnode - when a new object grows from a budnode, the new object attaches at by a footnode.
- Generations - When a model is grown all selected objects are checked for budnodes, then new objects grow from those budnodes accordingly; this is one generation. All new objects plus all the original objects are tested in the following generation.
- Grownode - A Budnode or a Footnode.
- Growto list - each budnode has a growto list. This is a list of all footnodes that can grow from that budnode. Those footnodes produce copies of their parent objects when they grow.
- Successful Generations - objects have the probability that they will grow from a budnode in a given generation. If this happens the budnode records a successful generation
To Do and Development
The Development Roadmap, Issues, Features to be added and Ideas can be found on this page