|UI location||File → Export → Wavefront (.obj)...|
|Version||2.43 2006-10-01||Author(s)|| Campbell Barton (ideasman42) and |
|Blender||2.43 and newer||License||GPL|
|Note(s)||Included in Blender 2.43+|
|Python modules||BPyMesh.py, BPyObject.py, BPyMessages.py|
|Links||this script comes with Blender.|
Export selected objects to Wavefront .obj file format.
OBJ is a common 3d format, used to transfer data between applications. Its an easy to parse text file format and well supported applications such as Maya, 3dstudio MAX, Wings3D and Lightwave.
- Python & Plugins forum at Blender Artists (TODO).
Select the script from the File → Export menu and choose the filename to export to.
These options will be presented at export time. in most cases the defaults should be good to use.
|Only export the selected objects.|
|Each scene as a separate OBJ file.|
|Each frame as a numbered OBJ file.|
|Use transformed mesh data from each object. May break vert order for morph targets.|
|Rotate on export so Blenders UP is translated into OBJs UP|
|Disables options that will re-order the verts and faces, so it can be used as a morph target.|
|Write edges not connected to faces.|
|Export vertex normal data (Ignored by blenders importer but some programs use it)|
|High Quality Normals||TOGGLE||OFF|
|Use with normals, Calculates high quality normals good for rendering in cases where the normals are used.|
|Export texface UV texture mapping coords.|
|Write a separate MTL file with the OBJ.|
|Copy image files to the export directory, never overwrite.|
|Triangulate quads, (basic obj readers may only import triangles).|
|Export blender objects as "OBJ Objects".|
|Export blender objects as "OBJ Groups".|
|Group by materials|
- Only basic smoothing groups are supported using Blenders Smooth/Solid face property. per edge smoothing is not supported except through using the edge split modifier.
Only mesh data is exported.
- Meshes: verts, edges, faces and uv coords.
- Nurbs Surface
- Particles (strands as lines)
- RGB: diffuse, specular, ambient, emissive. Intensity: shininess, transparency.
- Images Texface and Material texture/images are supported. Faces with texface images are separated into their own materials
- The obj format has support for curves and nurbs, however these are exported as meshes.
- Vertex color is not supported by the obj format.
- The OBJ format only supports 1 set of UV coordinates, so only the active UV's will be exported.
- Vue Esprit 5 and 6 will not import Blender OBJ files with edges, be sure to disable edge export when working with Vue Esprit.