Please add comment of your actions in Summary when adding, editing or deleting links, because of easier change tracking in history. Thanks!
The links are currently being organized so that tutorials meant for older versions than 2.4 have their own page. They may well be useable in newer versions but their screenshots may be misleading at some cases. This doesn't forbid using them though as you may find interesting techniques in them.
When adding Tutorial Links, please try add them in Alphabetical order within a section. In addition, there is a convention for new additions:
- * New - Latest entries in the specific topic.
- * 2.xx+ explicit - Some Blender tools are backward incompatible (or forward incompatible), tutorials which use such tools are marked that way. Some new tutorials will be candidates for this tag after new Blender release (new particle and some animation tools in 2.50 for example).
- * exposed - Some tutorials are just outstanding, mark them with this tag. Who judge the quality of the tutorials? YOU of course! :)
- * fixed - To indicate a broken link that is now fixed.
- Blender Current Development Status
- Blender Documentation
- Blender First Steps
- Blender Forums
- Blender Home Site
- Blender Magazine
- Blender Testing Builds: graphicall.org & here: blender.org
- Blender Tutorials Search Engine
- design3's Blender Video Tutorials
- Ira Krakow's Blender Tutorials
- Ron's YouTube videos
- Blender Interface Theme Repository
- Blender 2.5 Interface Tutorial
- Pimp Your Blender - Video tutorial. Customizing the look and feel of the Blender interface.
Importing Objects and Materials
- Appending Materials * fixed (01/09) - Video tutorial. How to append external Blender materials to a scene. See Learning Unit #9 - Appending Materials (2nd link).
- Appending Objects * fixed (01/09) - Video tutorial. How to append external Blender objects to a scene. See Learning Unit #9 - Appending Objects (1st link).
- Ron's YouTube videos
- Axis Orientation Copy - Web based tutorial. Illustrates the Script called Object -> Axis Orientation Copy.
- Knife Subdivide - This is a tutorial for the new "knife subdivide" (KS) tool added in Blender in rev 2.30.
- Making a carving - Modeling by extruding vertices
- Modelling Techniques and Strategies
- To Easily Remove Orphan Edges and Vertices - Web based tutorial. A technique for finding and deleting vertices and edges that aren't attached or shouldn't be attached to the primary object.
- Retopo Tutorial - Video based tutorial (Google videos).
- Creating a 3D Ring Band - Video tutorial. This tutorial uses the Spin control to create modified bands.
- Text - Web based tutorial. This is an extremely short tutorial and doesn't seem to cover anything more than is already found in the manual.
- Sculpting a Skull - Sculpt the skull and use it for baking a normal map to a low polygon mesh.
NURBS and Subsurface Modeling
Modeling of Specific Objects
- Celtic Knot
- Drill Bit
- How to make a Winch or a Winder (PDF tutorial)
- Ice Cube (PDF tutorial)
- Modelling a Nieuport 11 in 3D with Blender - PDF based tutorial.
Animals & Creatures
- Sears-Roebuck Dairy Barn
- Urban Design
- Introduction to Architecture Modeling
- Modeling Architecture with Precision
- Modelling a jet engine - New (01/08) - Web based tutorial.
- Various engineering tutorials - Detailed tutorials on engineering objects.
- Import models from Architecture drawing software at www.blender-archi.tuxfamily.org
- Picture frame using curves - PDF document
- Human Body Tutorial
- Human Ear Tutorial
- Human Feet Tutorial
- Human Hand Tutorial
- Make Human: Modeling a New Target
- Dave K's Poly Head Modeling Tutorial (non Blender specific)
- Human Head Tutorial
- Head modeling tutorial - Web-based tutorial
- A Face Rigging Tutorial - Web-based tutorial
- Pixar looking eyes in Blender - new (01/08) - Web-based tutorial.
Planets, Meteors & Asteroids
- Asteroids - Web based tutorial. This tutorial makes some stunning asteroids including impact craters on the surface.
- Making a Planetoid - Web based tutorial. This is a simple way to make a planetoid using nodes for processing.
Pipes, Tubes and Wires
- How to Make 3D Cables/Wires in Blender - Video tutorial. This short and simple tutorial (no audio) demonstrates how to create pipes using a custom bevel object in association with curves.
- Tennis Ball * New
- Water II (PDF tutorial)
- Shoulder Topology Research
- Shoulder Topology Research
- Subdivision Modeling (part II)
- Topology Overview: The Head* New (8/10) * exposed (video tutorial)
- Topology Research (non Blender specific)
- Material Indice Tutorial - Web-based tutorial. This shows how to add multiple materials to the same object.
- Material Indices - Web-based tutorial. This shows how to add multiple materials to the same object.
- Blender Material and Composite Nodes * fixed (01/09) - Web/PDF-based tutorial.
- Normal maps - Web-based tutorial. Creating and using Normal Maps to created 3d reliefs.
- Raytraced Reflections
- Using Texture Stencils - Web-based tutorial. A great explanation of using stencils with multiple textures.
- Basic Decaling in Blender - Video tutorial. Although not technically UV mapping this tutorial demonstrates how to apply an image (a decal) onto an existing surface by using an empty as the controller for the image's coordinates.
- Blender UV Mapper Tutorial * exposed
- Complex material for a sword * fixed (01/09)
- Ira Krakow's Blender 2.49 UV Unwrapping Basics Tutorial * New
- LSCM UV Mapping a Human Head
- Sub-Surf and UV-Texturing problem
- UV Mapping & Texturing
- Displacement Mapping Tutorial - Web-based tutorial. This tutorial uses displacement maps to place foot prints in the sand.
- How to use displacement maps in Blender
- Bump Maps for Beginners - Web-based tutorial
- Desert heat mirage effect - Web/PDF-based tutorial. This tutorial uses transparency to create a heat-haze in a desert.
- Raytraced Transparency and Refraction - Web-based tutorial. Introductory tutorial on transparency. Includes shadowing and understanding IOR.
- Animated Procedural Textures (PDF tutorial)
- Blender TexMesh Tutorial * exposed
- animating masks for simulating ice freeze
This part isn't about using Blender, but about necessary 2D knowledge for advanced Blender users.
- Conceptart.org Exposed
- Create a seamless tileable texture with Gimp - Web based tutorial.
- Dirty Metal Texture
- Fixing Lighting Irregularities in Self-Tiling Maps
- Gritty Pipelines
- Human Proportions
- Steven Stahlberg's Tutorials * exposed
Lighting, Shadows and Rendering
- Ambient Occlusion
- Area Lights
- Blender's Mist
- Light - a detailed tutorial
- Lighting in Blender Internal* New
- Lightning Techniques (Non Blender Specific)
- Make a Panorama
- Radiosity I
- Radiosity II
- Ramp Shaders
- Rendering with Alpha Channel - Web based tutorial. Illustrates how to render images that contain an alpha channel (transparency).
- Simulating Radiosity
- Soft Lights (PDF tutorial)
- Sketch Rendering with Blender
3 Point Lighting
- 3 Point Lighting - Web based tutorial.
- Basic 3 Point Lighting
- Three-Point Lighting for 3D Renderings by Jeremy Birn
Depth of Field
- Gamma Correction * New
- Indigo Tutorial - Web based tutorial. Detailed instructions on using the Indigo renderer with Blender.
Armatures and IK
- Dancing Flor * 2.4+ explicit
- Flag Creation in Blender (PDF tutorial)
- IPO Mouse Recording Tips
- Non Linear Action Editor - NLA I
- Non Linear Action Editor - NLA II
- Rigging And Animating A Simple Game Character | Mirror (HTML + Flash Tutorial) * 2.41+ explicit
- Seascape (PDF tutorial)
- Simple Animation
- Walking (Non Blender specific)
- Walking Blues
- How to Animate a Cylinder along a curve - Video tutorial. This tutorial demonstrates moving a cylinder along the path of a curve.
- Blurry Objects - Motion Blur - new (12/07) - Web based tutorial. This tutorial illustrates the concept of Motion Blur.
- Blurry Objects - Vector Blur - new (12/07) - Web based tutorial. This tutorial illustrates the concept of Vector Blur.
- Vector Blur usage with Blender - new (12/07) - Web based tutorial. This tutorial illustrates the concept of Vector Blur.
- Grass tutorial
- Dust Particles - Web based tutorial. This appears to be an old tutorial from a very old release of Blender. It is very short and doesn't seem to add much detail on the subject of Particles.
- Making a Rain Effect
- Particle Interaction
- Stylized Particle Animation - Video tutorial
- Vertex group to control speed/emission - Video tutorial. This video is part of the Blender 2.40 release notes. It demonstrates using weight painting and vertex groups to control both the speed and distribution of emission of particles from an object. Direct link to video.
- Volcano Tutorial - Web based tutorial. Builds an animated volcano using particles for the lava. The Blender release looks old but the principles should still be the same.
- How to make a rain of leaves
- Blender Fluid Sim Basics - Web based tutorial
- Liquid in a bowl - Web based tutorial
- Falling Object into Liquid - Web based tutorial
- Architectural modeling with softbodies - Web based tutorial - New (07/08)
- Blender Softbody Tutorial - Video based tutorial (YouTube).
- Ira Krakow's Blender 2.49 Soft Body Tutorial New (02/10)
- Softbody Curtains - Web based tutorial
- Soft Body Tutorial - Video based tutorial. Search for "Soft Body Tutorial" on the page. File is called softcomp.avi. This tutorial is based on v2.36 and so is quite old. It illustrates softbody, weight painting and creating/animating a wind force that increases in strength over time.
- Compositing CG and Live Action in Blender
- Matching Real Lighting
- Special Effects with Blender's Sequence Editor
- Blender defocusing using time/blur node tutorial - New (01/08) - Video tutorial (YouTube) on using the Blur and Time nodes in the composition editor to create a blur over time.
- Blender Material Node Flash Cards - New (01/08) (PDF tutorial)
- Blender Node Primer * exposed * 2.42+ explicit (PDF tutorial)
- Making a Planetoid * 2.42+ explicit
- Using Z-buffer and Map Value Nodes to see how far away object are* 2.42+ explicit
- Vector Blur* 2.42+ explicit
- Re-compositing of Blender render image from render passes
Game and Realtime Engine Import
- ASE importer - http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=15404
Game and Realtime Engine Export
- 3D GameStudio - http://www.coniserver.net/wiki/index.php/Blender
- Alice - http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=9275
- Delta3D - http://www.delta3d.org/article.php?story=20051013175820623
- Doom3 - http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=9275
- OGRE - http://www.ogre3d.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=413&Itemid=133
- Panda3D - http://www.panda3d.org/wiki/index.php/Converting_from_Blender
- Quake2 - MD2
- Second Life - http://www.3pointd.com/20060602/create-sl-objects-in-blender-if-you-dare/
- vterrain - http://www.vterrain.org/Doc/Blender/index.html
Python and Plugins
- 3D-No Plugins; Put your 3D Blender space on web!
- AI Path Importer
- Different Useful Scripts
- First Steps with Python (1/11)
- http://marief.soler.free.fr/Monsite/lsystem_en.htm Lsystem tree maker
- Labyrinth 3D mazes - * New (12/07) - Script for creating mazes.
- Povanim Export Script
- Python API Introduction
- Python API, Automating Face Creation
- Python API, Automating Vertex Creation
- Python API, Iterations
- Python API, Making Potatoid
- Python API, Making a Square Mesh
- Python Script, Bezier Curves Import
- Python Script, Changing the active camera instantly
- Python Script, Importing Adobe Illustrator Format
- Python Script, Level Of Detail
- Python Script, Mesh Explosion
- Python Script, Paths import
- Python Script, Rotoscope reference images for mesh design
- Python Script, To build an Empty for EnvMap
- Python Script, Wire Shadows and extrusions
- SVG import
- Uselessdreamers blog* exposed
- Using the SubSurface Scattering Script
- Using the Superficial Scattering Script
Production & Pipeline
- Blender-Aid * New, (05/10)
- Blender 3D Design Course - A completely free course on a huge variety of Blender capabilities. Very professional.
Using other Programs with Blender
- Adobe Illustrator Paths import
- Equinox 3D
- Importing models from Architecture drawing softwares
- Inkscape SVG import
- Kerkythea Renderer
- Povray export
- SPE - Python IDE for Blender
- Verse Gimp-Blender Plugin
- Voodoo Camera Tracker
- Wings 3D Subdivision Modeler
- yadra - yet another distributed rendering application * new (02/08) * exposed platform independent (Java-based), stable, easy to setup and to use.
- BURP - Big and Ugly Rendering Project * exposed
- BlenderNet * new (07/09) * exposed Web based Distributed Rendering
- RenderWorld: Distributed Rendering for Blender
- 2.5 Fundamentals Tutorial Series
- A complete training course in 2.49 by Roger Wickes (PapaSmurf). Subscription required.
- blenderunderground.com - Blender Video Tutorials Collection * New
- Camera mapping tutorial
- Greybeard's Blender Video Tutorials
- Ira Krakow's Blender Video Tutorials
- Videos from the 2005 Blender Conference, including sessions covering modelling techniques and rigging:
- Videos from the 2006 Blender Conference
- Blender FAQ (Generated on September 24, 2001)
This section is not about tutorials, but you can find here different useful stuff for your Blender.
- Hundreds of high res blue prints (a lot of blueprints from the site are 404)
- War Planes
- old cars
Textures & Sky Maps
- Creative Commons Textures Copyright: CC 2.0
- www.cgtextures.com license agreement
- Free Textures Mid-Res
- Image*After Free Images Hi-Res
- List Of Free Texture Sites* New
- Mayang's Free Textures Hi-Res
- Sky Maps
- texturewarehouse.com Copyright: CC 2.0
- www.blender3d.ch Copyright: CC 2.0
- www.morguefile.com license agreement
- www.3d-rekonstruktionen.de license agreement
Must see or read:
- Classical Film and Video Knowledge Base
- How to Report Bugs Effectively
- How to succeed in Animation
- Theeths Blog
- A list of offsite video tutorials can be found at cgsociety.org
- Precision Modeling* New (An Engineers Guide - HTML, PDF)
- Tutorials for Blender by Jarvis
- 3Dtutorials.sk (Non-Blender specific) - Blender tutorials