User Interface Proposals
Here you can freely post proposals for the User Interface project. The module owners and developers will decide which ones to focus on, and turn them into Design Tasks with focused discussion to get a final approved design for developers to implement.
Feel free to link to external documents, but do not upload any screenshots or analysis of other 3D software on this wiki (for copyright reasons). If you want to write a detailed proposal for some feature, please create a subpage so this page doesn't grow too large.
- Blender UI and Functionality Proposals
- Blender UI Improvement Blendpolis Survey
- Blender Conference 2013 UI Analysis Talk
- Blender Conference 2013 Improving Blender's UI (Talk by Andrew Price)
- Blender UI Experiments by Harley Acheson
- Default Keymap Proposal for Blender 2.7 (by Josemaria RRA)
- List of small issues
Keymap and Selection Tools
- Modular Modifier Key Mappings
- Full LMB selection support
- Ability to LMB select in ALL windows and contexts
- Key to delete objects in the outliner
- Double Key Press
- Preselection highlighting
- Mesh Editing+
- Enter key on textbox dialog
- Improvements to Modal Interaction API
Interface and Workflow
- Properties Editor as a customizable Dock
- Keyframes Handles in Timeline Editor
- NodeBased RenderPasses Setup
- Icon Activated Operator Window in Create And Tools Tabs
- Merge Redo History and Error Notification
- Blender Ribbon Bar
- Tools Workflow
- Cleaner Panel Lists
- Labels on Workspace and Scene Selectors
- Organized Shading And Display Options
- Quick Settings Popup
- UV Canvas Rotation
- Consistent and Conventional UV Editor Behavior
- Tooltips Display control
- Value input improvement
- Top Bar Reshuffle: put object modes, tool settings, at global level.
- Tabbing Editor Side Panels for Better Organization:revised
- Close Button on Splash
- Tabbed Screen Layouts and Toolbars
- Startup .blend Templates
- Mode Sensitive Outliner: A "smarter" outliner to bring more consistency to the current UI and reduce tabbing to get to different lists. (updated 4feb14)
- Timeline and Dope Sheet merge
- Scene Data Node Tree
- Increase whitespace
- Popup improvements
- Tapping key ≠ holding key (currently being implemented)
- Display of camera
- Advanced Outliner: Better scene management and asset browsing.
- Area Splitting: Improved splitting and joining of UI editor areas
- Screen Layout Selection
- Asset Manager: Dedicated asset manager, separate from the outliner
- two axis plane transform manipulator handles: Two axis plane transform manipulator handles
- First time user splash and macro tutorials: A splash screen designed for the first time users. Ideas on using Macros for tutorials.
- File Browser Bookmarks: Allow for naming of bookmarks and reordering the list.
- Redesign of the Modifiers Panel:Unified Modifiers and Physics display
- Better gui for animators:Controller picker tab and an overlay graph editor mode.
- Tools Properties as Tab in Properties Column:allow to remove last operator region surrounding tools buttons.
- Layer Manager
- Move some toolbar panel items to the 3d viewport bar in sculpting mode and texture paint mode
- mode sensitive N-panel and Outliner redesign Mode sensitive N-panel for better use of screen space
- TreeView Box
- Re-add node link socket swapping: Reasons for re-adding the node link swapping functionality.
- Custom Icons for addons
- Hot-key selection in lists and menus
- Speed up repetition of Edit Mode hot-key actions
- Improving the layout for video output and encoding
Put your suggestions for better tooltips/infotips here.
These are small specific quirks or issues that require little debate but hurt overall usability of the program.