2.7x release cycle
Blender 2.72 "BCon" schedule:
- BCon1: June 13 (define targets, branches reviewed & ready)
- BCon2: July 6 (add branches to git, targets are defined)
- BCon3: August 17 (testing and fixing period)
- BCon4: September 7 (provide test build, fixing only)
- BCon5: September 21 (git frozen, RC a few days after)
More about the development process
Release Notes for features already added.
- Cycles: Improved Glossy and Volume Sampling ✓ In Master
- soc-2013-paint ✓ In Master
- Freestyle for Cycles ✓ In Master
- Pie menus ✓ In Master
- FBX: Export ShapeKeys. Import armature, shapekeys and (some!) animation. ✓ In Master
Candidate targets for 2.73 or later
- Compositor Memory Management (P1.1) Currently in review.
- Branch & Patch migration list
- SplitNormals Stage II (custom split normals).
- Multi View (stereo 3D)
- Freestyle: Memory consumption improvements
Issues for (new) developers to work on are collected in wiki. It's known todo items, features or fixes that already have been approved to be worked on:
Roadmap for 2.7 - 2.8 and beyond
The Blender 2.7x series will stay mostly compatible with the Blender 2.5 UI redesign project, but there's a number of essential upgrades we will need to do. On the Blender code blog you can read more, including an open discussion of the plans.
Next to that, Blender Foundation will support a massive Open Movie feature film project, executed by a dozen of Blender studios world-wide. This will have a focus on 3D animation creation, project and content management, and everything that's needed for high quality film work.