2.7x release cycle
Blender 2.71 "BCon" schedule:
- BCon1: March 5 (define targets, branches reviewed & ready)
- BCon2: April 6 (add branches to git, targets are defined)
- BCon3: April 20 (testing and fixing period)
- BCon4: May 4 (provide test build, fixing only)
- BCon5: May 11 (git frozen, RC a few days after)
More about the development process
Release Notes for features already added.
- Cycles: Deformation Motion Blur + Smoke/Fire + Volume improvement
- Python 3.4 (fixes annoying windows issue).
- Split Normals, stage I. In Master.
- F-Curve Easing patch.
- FBX binary exporter (7.4). In master.
- Freestyle: Textured strokes
- Compositor cleanup and restructured node conversion
- Cycles Baking
Candidate targets for 2.72 or later
- Branch & Patch migration list
- Cycles SSS on GPU, AO node
- Multi View (stereo 3D)
- Freestyle: Memory consumption improvements
- Pie menus
Issues for (new) developers to work on are collected in wiki. It's known todo items, features or fixes that already have been approved to be worked on:
Roadmap for 2.7 - 2.8 and beyond
The Blender 2.7x series will stay mostly compatible with the Blender 2.5 UI redesign project, but there's a number of essential upgrades we will need to do. On the Blender code blog you can read more, including an open discussion of the plans.
Next to that, Blender Foundation will support a massive Open Movie feature film project, executed by a dozen of Blender studios world-wide. This will have a focus on 3D animation creation, project and content management, and everything that's needed for high quality film work.