2.7x release cycle
Blender 2.73 "BCon" schedule:
- BCon1: Sept 28 (define targets, branches reviewed & ready)
- BCon2: October 19 (add branches to git, targets are defined)
- BCon3: November 09 (testing and fixing period)
- BCon4: November 23 (provide test build, fixing only)
- BCon5: November 30 (git frozen, RC a few days after)
More about the development process
Release Notes for features already added.
- Compositor Memory Management (P1.1) Currently in review (Patch D627).
- Multi View (stereo 3D) Full doc
- Freestyle: Memory consumption improvements
- Fracture Modifier doc
- Grease Pencil stroke editing
Candidate targets for 2.74 or later
- Branch & Patch migration list
- SplitNormals Stage II (custom split normals).
- Mesh Data Transfer.
Issues for (new) developers to work on are collected in wiki. It's known todo items, features or fixes that already have been approved to be worked on:
Roadmap for 2.7 - 2.8 and beyond
The Blender 2.7x series will stay mostly compatible with the Blender 2.5 UI redesign project, but there's a number of essential upgrades we will need to do. On the Blender code blog you can read more, including an open discussion of the plans.
Next to that, Blender Foundation will support a massive Open Movie feature film project, executed by a dozen of Blender studios world-wide. This will have a focus on 3D animation creation, project and content management, and everything that's needed for high quality film work.