2.7x release cycle
Blender 2.74 "BCon" schedule:
- BCon1: January 04 (define targets, branches reviewed & ready)
- BCon2: January 25 (add branches to git, targets are defined)
- BCon3: February 15 (testing and fixing period)
- BCon4: March 1 (provide test build, fixing only)
- BCon5: March 8 (git frozen, RC a few days after)
More about the development process
Release Notes for features already added.
UI Projects Page for UI related targets
- Mesh Data Transfer (sketch of manual) ✓ In Master
- Multi View (stereo 3D) Full doc
- Freestyle: Memory consumption improvements
- SplitNormals Stage II (custom split normals, sketch of manual)
- Compositor Memory Management (P1.1) ✓ In Master
- Support for Sticky keys in event system (testbuilds are available here)
- Gooseberry targets (hair, to be confirmed)
- OpenGL or viewport update?
Candidate targets for 2.74 or later
- OpenSubdiv (We wait for Pixar to release 3.0)
- Branch & Patch migration list
Issues for (new) developers to work on are collected in wiki. It's known todo items, features or fixes that already have been approved to be worked on:
Roadmap for 2.7 - 2.8 and beyond
The Blender 2.7x series will stay mostly compatible with the Blender 2.5 UI redesign project, but there's a number of essential upgrades we will need to do. On the Blender code blog you can read more, including an open discussion of the plans.
Next to that, Blender Foundation will support a massive Open Movie feature film project, executed by a dozen of Blender studios world-wide. This will have a focus on 3D animation creation, project and content management, and everything that's needed for high quality film work.