2.7x release cycle
Blender 2.73 "BCon" schedule:
- BCon1: Sept 28 (define targets, branches reviewed & ready)
- BCon2: November 02 (add branches to git, targets are defined)
- BCon3: November 23 (testing and fixing period)
- BCon4: December 07 (provide test build, fixing only)
- BCon5: December 14 (git frozen, RC a few days after)
More about the development process
Release Notes for features already added.
UI Projects Page for UI related targets.
- Grease Pencil stroke editing - Release Logs (in progress) ✓ In Master
- FBX improvements - Release Logs ✓ In Master
- Complex Asian character input (Input Method Editor - IME) - Release Logs ✓ In Master
Candidate targets for 2.74 or later
- Multi View (stereo 3D) Full doc
- Freestyle: Memory consumption improvements
- SplitNormals Stage II (custom split normals, User:Mont29/Foundation/Split_Vertex_Normals/Custom_Split_Normals_Manual).
- Branch & Patch migration list
- OpenSubdiv (We wait for Pixar to release 3.0)
- Compositor Memory Management (P1.1) Currently in review (Patch D627).
- Mesh Data Transfer (User:Mont29/Foundation/Data_Transfer/Data_Transfer_Manual).
Issues for (new) developers to work on are collected in wiki. It's known todo items, features or fixes that already have been approved to be worked on:
Roadmap for 2.7 - 2.8 and beyond
The Blender 2.7x series will stay mostly compatible with the Blender 2.5 UI redesign project, but there's a number of essential upgrades we will need to do. On the Blender code blog you can read more, including an open discussion of the plans.
Next to that, Blender Foundation will support a massive Open Movie feature film project, executed by a dozen of Blender studios world-wide. This will have a focus on 3D animation creation, project and content management, and everything that's needed for high quality film work.