General 2.5 targets
- Support in operators for 'menu names', remove all custom names in UI scripts.
- Key map menu on splash with preset configs
- New 2.5 key configuration
- Prompt on unsaved changes dialog for all OSes, make exit methods consistent (ctrl q, clicking X, etc.)
- Horizontal layouts is currently not well supported example. Tabbing has been removed.
- Selecting Fonts and "Styles" for drawing UI (font sizes for panel headers etc) has to be implemented still
General todo items
- Consistent method for generating/appending/reordering/removing customizable lists of tools (tool shelf, custom menus, etc). If this can't be done quickly, then remove customization options for tool shelf and leave for a later release.
- Editing multiple datablocks at once.
- Saving thumbnails currently saves the 3D view, which isn't useful for blend files primarily using the sequencer: See #34112
- Reduce memory usage of font caches for utf8 fonts (#34627)
Issues per category
Left Mouse selection conflicts with defaults
- Since Blender doesn't have a modal UI (select mode, transform mode, view move mode, etc), we designed it to have basic actions default assigned to distinct mouse buttons (left = tools, middle = view, right = select). Users who prefer left-mouse select still experience conflicts, for example with Painting tools that allow selection too. Discussion and design ideas.
- Tweak events (hold-drag) need user preset for adjusting the behaviour of pen clicks to register as mouse click.
- Blender will work properly with only one of several tablets plugged in, see #33206
NDOF / 3D Mouse
- Note: default usage keeps view pivot the same, so you can use it for modeling. Options for panning or free fly mode are with modifier keys. You can set own preferences via the User Preferences keymap editor.
- Add modal keymap to View2D (and other modal view options)
- Check for key conflicts. (operator wm.keyconfig_test already does that but only prints result to console due to high number of false positives)
- New default 2.5 keymap.
- Allow Mouse Events to work with Custom Modifier Key #32641
Blender Window Manager
- Scaling window up, down, many times will cause rounding errors in editor subdivisions.
Support Keyboard layouts
- Qwerty keyboards are still default for a lot of Blender hotkey code. It was in our 2.5 spec to add proper handling for other keyboards (like Azerty, that has no number keys on top). The way how 'raw keys' are being generated in Ghost needs review. reference and German keyboard ~ failure
- Resolve the case when the mouse isn't able to select the last used item in a menu see: #32542
- Some menus are too wide to draw reliably for narrow windows. #34500
- Search (space) doesn't show hotkeys for operators (like Mark Seam) that in a collection, like CTRL+E. Unsure what best solution would be, but definitely worth investigating.
- ID search menu has got fixed width which isn't convenient to choosing long datablock names, see #33294
- Pressing non-modifier key before releasing previous non-modifier button is treating as second key with modifier of first key, which is confusing in some cases (see report)
- Need to implement two queues of events for dominant and secondary operands so it'll be a general way to apply some tool and navigate through viewspace.
- ESC presses to stop render or simulations now don't use events, but set the "G.is_break" always before events get handled. That's to ensure an ESC is working always, but it conflicts with pressing ESC in buttons or FileWindow etc.
- Implementation of mouse "Press" versus "Tweak" versus "Click" and "Release" event is very fuzzy, and seems to be not much in control for KeyMaps. Main reason is Select-activate operator, that marks an event "Handled" as well as "Pass through". report
- Current RNA property definitions don't handle cases for redraws of button values over multiple editors (like rna editor in outliner should reflect in properties window). Ton will resolve.
- UI to create/record/edit them.
- Python can't set with properties for nested operators yet when calling a macro.
- Macro options can't be edited in the toolbar Template:BugRebort
Toolbars, Property views
- Save positions in file, implement useful memory here as well (per mode, object type?).
- Set properties, icons, text for items.
- Different shapes, horizontal, .. ?
- Floating regions will come back?
- Scaling window down and up multiple times causes wrong region/areas. Example #23664, resize prob #19691, #19720, #22775, and #33153
- Regions scale when maximizing window, see #23941
- Scrolling on pop-up regions doesn't behave properly, see #28199.
- Popup dialog box buttons for operator don't update after hitting reset #31790
- Popup dialog box buttons for operator can only be pressed once #35154
- Pressing F12 in viewport will render active viewport layers, rather than active layers in layers panel of render button?
Undo, Redo and Operator Context
- Global undo doesn't work with editing text. (also mentioned in Editors category) link
- Redo panel in 3d view has operators from all editors.
- Redo in editmode fails for ops that are not in editmode, like 'New Image' texture and "Edit texture space" (future todo)
- Can't redo when not in right region/area. (fixed now in 3d view)
- Redo for operators that depend on mouse position doesn't work.
- Running operators in background mode.
- Undo still clears history list, need better integration.
- Redoing operators should give reports in some cases, see here.
- Patch for more elaborate operator context poll link (needs review still). Operator context and rna context are still problematic...
- Run operator, change a property somewhere and then redo operator reverts the property (bug, #31231)
- Redo operator behaves wrong when run from edit mode and operator changes data not related on topology and geometry (see 29527, 30968)
- It's not currently possible to create a key logging python script that captures all events, there is no way for the operator to always receive events or get the context as the mouse moves (report, report)
- Memory usage of global undo might be improved in cases like removing CustomData layers (#31377)
- Redesign undo stack to get rid of problems caused by global and local stacks. Some of known limitations:
- Text editor vs global undo conflict
- Unable to undo changes made to modifiers stack when user is in sculpt/edit mode
- Armature editmode undo doesn't restore pose constraints.
- Changing frame number followed by operator redo resets frame back (see report).
- Undo stack isn't aware about memory usage which easily leads to all memory used and crash (report).
- Bring back toolbox menus, or some sort of radial/pie menu. (mockup)
- What to put in here, for all editors, which hotkey.
- Bring back the "ADD TOOL" buttons
- give hotkey feedback next to the python expressions
Interactive Updates (slowness)
- Immediate update when dragging button can be slow.
- Also gives problems when setting very high number for e.g. subsurf, can lock up.
- Reports on slugishness: here and here
- Allow standard modal WM calls like BorderSelect to execute while using it (fileselect items example)
- Saving into separate files.
- Missing theme colors: Timeline yellow key lines, manipulator, 3d view length text, ...
- Theme colors need to be exposed in less messing way, so it'll be clear which exactly UI element is controlled by this color (see here)
- Resetting defaults doesn't update presets menu #34454
Drag & Drop
- Add support for multiple (but similar) items to be dragged and dropped
Screen grab / Screen cast
- Screen cast (video) was only added as a demo, is slow as well. Needs to be finished.
- 2.5 targets
- ColorPicker/menu closing behaviour when opened over other area report
- Menus shouldn't disappear when moving the cursor away - this is too error prone. Instead a click outside it can close it. Or the safe zone should be big enough (50 pix)
- Port operator names from UI scrips to operators
- Color coding in buttons only works when animated property is in "own" ID data (for example, a material driver is on object level, and doesn't color button purple)
- List Template resizing
- Investigate to see if it's possible to preserve HSV values when using colour picker (RGB conversion issue when sat = 0.0)
- Tab-key cycle to new button should skip option buttons: #23666
- Make tooltips for properties show shortcuts, in case an operator exists that changes this property
- Remove time for tooltip to appear after the the user has waited for the first one. Reset this timer when the user moves away from viewing tooltips.
- Clicking a check box inside a menu shouldn't close it.
- Couple usages of UILayout.template_preview will display only the first, see #28822.
- Several list templates fails to work when placed to the sane panel, see #29893.
- Not all widgets are aware of DPI, see #30813.
- Background of disabled elements depends on last drawn panel and sometimes is incorrect. See #31724.
- Some interface elements are getting misaligned when toggling some property, see #32188
- Eye dropper doesn't work from operator properties, see #32396
- prop_search() buttons cant be created by the auto-ui, and currently need to be done manually in a draw function. see, #35154
- The maximum (100%) value for scroll bars is usually too small in 2d views such as Node Editor etc. (you can never zoom out far enough using the handles)
- Make the Import and Export commands single operators. The import/export file format can then be chosen from a menu inside the file browser. Mockup
- RNA Path Builder widget/mini-outliner for setting up Drivers and Keying Sets
- List Template popup for quick overview/search of many items. Mockup
- jendrzych made a good proposal on how to improve the listview for materials/textures Mockup.
- Implement new clean modifier list Mockup
- Drag support for reordering textures, modifiers and constraints.
- Tweak console list. It is very hard to distill the essential information here.
- Make Info window stick to the top or bottom of the screen and remove ability to drag it. This causes some issues with the menus disappearing and is no longer needed.
- Animate sub-regions in and out
- Make panels animate when opening and closing (Currently this only works in Properties)
- Scroll bar wdiges could hide if not needed
- Disable most entries in the File menu when FileBrowser is open (Clicking open while a filebrowser for opening files already exists opens a new one in the info area)
- Limit Operator vs Tools resizing so there isn't a way to lose Operator area.
- Gamma correction options for Histogram and RGB curves widget
- Check on negative colours interaction with HSVCIRCLE widgets
- "Solo Mode" ctrl+click on panel opens it exclusively patch
- Automated word wrapping (i.e. splitting long text into multiple lines) for tooltips and report popups.
- Text selection background for sliders is using the same color as for slide bar report
- Drawing lines, angles, and curves to translate, scale, and rotate.
- Remember the chosen preset for things like subsurface scattering and cloth. Would also be good to change the shown preset name to "custom" when a value defined by the presets is changed. See #23597.
- Preset names are always CamelCase #31295.