Overview | Tools | User Interface | Editors | Animation | Render | Breaking Forward Compatibility | Scripting | Import/Export | Simple Todos | Regression Tests
Unstable or poorly tested
- Using operators from python, in many cases won't work (when they could) or crash instantly.
- Render API currently crashes fairly frequently (1 in 10 times or so), because of threading issues???.
Fixes that still need doing.
Internal API Problems
- Class registration needs to be reworked. as well as some internal bugs fixed.
- RNA api has a bug where 'raw_type' defaults to INT but is not set for MFace verts in makesrna.
- ID data returned from functions is not included unless the type is an ID itself.
Returning a mesh will work but not a meshes face for eg.
see bpy_rna.c - /* XXX this is missing the ID part! */
- Dynamic enums currently refer to invalid memory when accessed from python, we need a way for python to hold the memory until its done with the dynamic enum.
Low Priority Py API
- Re-Registering classes leaks memory, would be good to resolve this. (see comments in bpy_rna.c)
- 'Safe Mode' - where writes to invalid memory are detected.
- Implement import hooks rather than replacing import/reload http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0302/
Python/RNA API Design TODO
- Add a way to cancel running scripts from the user interface, with no console this becomes very problematic (Esc --> KeyboardInterrupt for example).
- Currently there is no way to write packed images from blend files, support for this should be added to exporters. eg: image.pack_write("somepath.png")
- Addressing operators/panels/menus, should we translate all names from
SOME_MT_menu --> some.menu, ONE_PT_panel --> one.panel ?<r>would mean the UI code could reference them by this more pythonic syntax.
- need to decide how 2.4x api's will fit in with new apis. PyNodes, PyConstraints.
- convenience function to get selected verts/edges/faces to prevent expensive iteration over meshes. Something like: me.verts.selected
- Design a method to allow custom UIs to filter properties/options. Useful for Blender GE too (example: which constraints are supported list. Complex matter for which rna needs to be extended?
- Zero bytes are not supported in RNA byte string types: 
- bpy.ops.mode_set(...) has different mode-names than bpy.context.mode. E.g. TEXTURE_PAINT vs PAINT_TEXTURE
CoDEmanX: Getting mode from bpy.context.mode for mode_set() is inappropriate, use bpy.context.object.mode instead!
- bpy.ops.object.move_to_layer() takes a boolean array of 20 elements (like in Blender GUI), but most functions require 32 elements. bpy.ops.object.add() for example.
- bone.matrix returns a matrix, but requires a list when assigning to it. This also goes for some of the other matrix attributes of bone, editbone and posebone.
- the term 'size' is used incorrectly in some cases, where it should be 'scale' instead. Review and correct: http://www.blender.org/documentation/250PythonDoc/search.html?q=size&check_keywords=yes&area=default
- keyframe_insert(), options for insert or replacing existing keyframes, threshold for detecting doubles see: http://www.blender.org/documentation/250PythonDoc/bpy.types.bpy_struct.html#bpy.types.bpy_struct.keyframe_insert
General todo items
- Operator redo (toolbar) could also change the last InfoWindow print of the python operator equivalent.
- Python access to particle edit mode is missing.
- a way to remove mesh vertices from RNA
- Python access to start/stop the physics sim.
- mathutil.geometry.intersect_point_quad_2d works inpredictable for non-concave or quads with singularity edges #30831
- modules/rna_xml.py: BoolVectorProperty and CollectionProperty issue #32882