Overview | Tools | Render | User Interface | Animation | Game Engine | Editors | Breaking Backward Compatibility | Scripting | Import/Export | Building | Installation and Environment | Regression Tests | Simple Todos
Blender development todo list
Blender is always a work-in-progress. This section will clearly list the known issues (todo items) for which you don't have to report on yet, or which have already been reported, but moved to this todo list.
Also respect the bug reporting guidelines on the bug submission page! A good bug report tells the simplest way for someone else to reproduce the problem.
For the Blender 2.6x series we will release in a series of bi-monthly steps; with stable branches first. Each release will be mostly stable, but include new functionality to be tested as well. UI and general design specifications for Blender will remain on 2.5 compatible level.
A related target or Blender remains to keep improving apis or modules, to enable larger groups of developers to work in parallel on projects.
What not to report
- User expectations ("I would expect this to work...") - unless you have evidence it should work (it worked before, or code is supposed to work).
- Crashes when running out of memory
Main todo item categories
- Editing Meshes, Sculpting, Particles, and so on
- Blender's window/area manager
- Events, keys, undo, widgets, history, tool redo
- Armatures and rigging
- Dependency graph (updating of animation dependencies)
- Drivers and constraints
- Time remapping doesn't work as it's expected (see report)
- Embedded, standalone and bundled player
- Logic and Scripting
- Physics, Animation and Audio
- Capabilities of individual editors
- 3D View, Image Editor, Node Editor, ...
Todos that would imply breaking backward compatibility (i.e. a file saved with a newer Blender would not open, or open with some odd stuff, under an older Blender).
- Creating Interfaces
- Extending and configuring Blender
- Blender files and Library system
- File formats to support.
- Important changes to existing IO.
- OpenCollada support.
- Anything related to developing or creating Blender binaries for all platforms
- Windows, Linux, OS X related
- OpenGL graphics, sound
- CPUs, tablet, other devices, ...
- Errors in existing regressions
- New regression tests that need adding